Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible surge damage question

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 23:40

I was wondering if you thought this was a power surge situation?

I had a LCD TV go on the fritz today, powers up but there are issues with it turning on. The surge protector it was plugged into appears to be fine, the red light still indicates protection. The DVD player on same strip is fine as well as the cable box.

Do you think I got surged since the other devices are working or can I isolate the TV?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible surge damage question

I doubt you got a surge.

o

Was the TV a Samsung by any chance? They had a bad run of "caps" that
exhibited this turn on issue. Most are covered without a warranty though
you may have to push them to do the repair.

o

IT wasnt a samsung, it was an LG (4.5 years old), However, my son says all indications point to the capacitors.He said they were slighly bulged on top but not leaking.

So since the TV was at least trying to start plus the rest of the stuff was not DOA, is it safe to assume it wasnt a surge but mechanical failure?

No other devices seem to be affected.

o

Sounds like LG had the same manufacturers brand of Caps in their
power supply. That's not a surge issue.

o

With your additional information, it is safe to assume it wasn't a surge but component failure.

It's not uncommon to have electrolytic capacitors fail prematurely in the power supplies of many newer products such as flat panel televisions where every penny counts.

Capacitors are selected not only by the value required, but must also be derated based on the voltage and temperature of the application. The inside of the television allows for very little heat dissipation.

Yes, they could use better quality or higher rated components but it would cost more to manufacture - and they don't want to do that!

o

Bulging caps are failed, leaking or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here