Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrpandy

Split bolt connectors?

mrpandy
11 years ago

Once every two or three years, I get a smoky smell from my heat pump's vents, and when I open up the inside unit I find burned wires right at one of the two split bolt connectors. I trim back the wires, reconnect them securely, and tape the crap out of it.

Now here's my question. In each of the split bolts, there are three wires - two that appear to be 10 gauge that run to connectors on the unit, and one big, fat braided wire from a bundle of wires that run in through the side. I was told (by someone who is not a professional electrician) that there should never be more than two wires in a split bolt connector, and I should connect the two 10 gauge wires with a third jumper wire using a wire nut, and run the jumper to the split bolt. Is that true?

I understand that there could be other problems causing this, but is this possibly why they keep burning up and is that what you would recommend to at least to make it safer and better than it is? And if so, should I use something bigger than 10 gauge for the jumper?

Or is there something better to use than a split bolt connector?

Thanks!

Comments (3)