Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcy2011

Electrician selling me too much!?!? please help

jcy2011
11 years ago

Building a home and had an electrician come look around and provided recommendations. Added up to about 10K in addition to initial estimate - please help me decide what is better to have the electrician install vs. what I can install on my own.

-4 way switch ($100)
-duplex receptacles ($80)
-arc fault circuit 15amp ($175)
-arc fault circuit 20amp ($195)
-push button timers ($80)
-surge protection outlets ($100)
-whole house surge protector ($750)

General Q: For indoor hi-hats, can I spec out for standard watt fixtures (65watt) then switch the bulbs to LEDs or do they require specific low wattage LED fixtures?

Many thanks!!!

Comments (15)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Please understand that because of regional variations and our inability to see the work, it is very hard for anyone to evaluate prices. You're best bet is to get several estimates from reputable, local contractors. With that said, your message isn't clear about what the money is buying. Is $100 for the 4-way switch alone or the entire circuit. Just for reference my local Home Depot charges about $10 for a ordinary 4-way switch. An extra charge for duplex receptacles seems odd as that's what most receptacles are. Here's a picture of a duplex receptacle:

A basic, el cheapo 15 amp, residential grade receptacle goes for about 35 cents. And a decent quality one can be hand for under $2.

You can replace ordinary incandescent lamps in recessed fixtures with LED lamps. Some manufacturers offer a LED conversion "module" for regular cans as well.

• jcy2011
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks fire the feedback. You are right, I need to provide more information. This is new build so prices include the circuit and wiring. I'm in the ny area.
    Please expand on the module, what is the advantage of this conversion if the incandescent lamps can be replaced with the LEDS?

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

HOW can someone "sell you too much"??? I can see someone buying too much.

Honestly, his numbers are not that bad.
    Things like AFCI breakers are REQUIRED for most circuits. They are not optional.
    The things he specs are OPTIONS. He is talking about adding extra receptacles. Adding timers for certain things. I guess adding circuits to higher use areas.

What was gone over before you signed the contract? Did you not explain things you'd like? Did he go over the plans with you?

What part of NYS are you in?

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Do the LED recessed now. It will be more money later to switch out to LED trims for the cans. And specify ICAT housings. Insulation Contact Air Tight. That means that no heat escapes into the attic making your life difficult and expensive. LEDs are low heat and low energy use, and using them now from the beginning will make your life easier and cheaper.

Arc faults are required on bedrooms, so if you have a room that's a "flex" space, adding the arc fault now will save you money vs doing it in the future.

On the whole, the individual upcharges are more than reasonable to do during a new build, and would be more expensive to do later as a retrofit because the walls wouldn't be open for access. Some of the items you list would be triple to quadruple the price if done later, simply because of the access issue. If the additions make your life easier and save you money from the beginning, then they are worth doing NOW as opposed to later.

• btharmy
    11 years ago

Obviously, anything on the list that requires wiring to be roughed in will have to be done by him during construction. If you want timers in place of switches, you may choose to change them out later. As stated already, the price to add many of the items on the list will double or even triple after construction is finished. As far as getting prices to compare, that will be tough. The electrician is a sub contractor of the builder. You will have problems trying to get both to work on the same project. It will be a liability, permit and warranty nightmare. I don't recommend it.

This post was edited by btharmy on Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 15:09

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

GreenDesigns, arc-faults are required on MOST circuits these days, NOT just bedrooms. Been this way since the 2008NEC.

• btharmy
    11 years ago

Of course, the arc-fault requirement is based on the NEC cycle in effect in that area. Some have yet to adopt the 2008. In Indiana, we have adopted the 2008 with an exclusion to the arc-fault requirements and t.r. requirements. Neither are currently required on a house in Indiana.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Things that would cost more later are about the only upgrades during a build that are worth doing. This comes under that category. Skip putting in granite counters now if it pinches the budget too much. Or that crystal dining room chandelier. Anything easy to add at a later time like that isn't worth paying the builder's markup for.

• jcy2011
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. What are the electrical upgrades i can do later? For example, outlet surge protectors? I'm doing generator now....m

Dimmers, timers, led exterior lighting later?
    Whole house surge protector (2), chandelier lift, led lights interior later?

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Why are you looking to do things later? Do you not trust the guy you have doing the work now?

I would do as much as you can now. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
    I would definitely do the chandelier lift now, NOT later.

That's interesting though, you need a chandelier lift??? Just how big is this house?

• btharmy
    11 years ago

Sounds like a typical million dollar homeowner trying to nickle and dime the electrician on every last penny.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

NO!
    The heck you say.

• jcy2011
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The chandelier lift wasn't originally included, he's insisting it's something we need. And please, many homes have chandeliers, does not make you a millionaire. My chandelier costs less than the lift (I do think it's necessary now that I think about, how the heck do you clean the thing if its 15ft up in the air?).

I've never worked with the electrician, he's one of the few subs my contractor uses for the project; most of the work is done by the GC and his workers. I can't say if I trust him or not, only that he never gets my name right and seems disorganized.

Recommending 2 whole house surge protectors plus outlet surge protectors on every TV outlet, isn't this overkill?

Anyway, sounds like the consensus is to have as much work done now rather than later, which I agree. Thanks for all of the feedback.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

A lift on a 15' ceiling is WAY overkill. Find a friend with a 10' ladder, or buy one yourself for 1/10 the price of a lift.

A surge suppressor is kind of overkill, unless your neighborhood is susceptible to bad surges. Pretty much all areas like this would require plug strip anyway, so get high quality plug strips with built-in suppression.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

With a 15' ceiling, get a 10' stepladder.

You might need two whole-house protectors if you have two panels. Otherwise I think one would suffice. If your power panel is enclosed by drywall on all sides, then doing it now (if you want one) would be much easier than doing it later. If your panel(s) are open all around (like in a garage), then it is a simple thing to install them later.

Surge protectors for outlets can be purchased and installed by yourself any time you want.