Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to get power to long bedroom wall

Posted by psujoe (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 21:54

longest wall ( room A ) w/o an outlet and would like power in that wall. this wall shared with a smaller bedroom ( room B ) that has an outlet its side of the wall.
HOW to use the outlet in room B to get power to the other side of wall in room A?? <60 year old PLASTERED walls,not drywall and no access to attic>

my thoughts : use a knock-out in rear or side of box to run a short length of 3 wire into room A.
outlet box in room B small, so would have to use backwire method to get white and black to room A and use jumper wire for ground.
use surface mount box in room A to house receptacle and wires.
Otherwise: approx 20' of raceway, 2 surface mounted boxes and 1 90degree connector for raceway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to get power to long bedroom wall

You are not allowed to tap out of a receptacle that does not have a ground. Don't know what jumper you are referring to but hopefully not an illegal bootleg ground jumper. Difficulties in routing new wire don't make exceptions to following code. Perhaps there is an exterior wall nearby which you could take conduit outside the house to the service panel and then feed your new outlet and perhaps others with surface mounted raceway.

o

Any access from below?

o

MANY thanks..... you guys/girls have been a source of great advice over the years as I flounder around my house.

the outlet in room b is grounded; house was just sided and any exterior conduit is n/a.

I believe i have access from basement to pull electrical up through wall to room a.

raceway may have to be the way if I can't gain lower access to pull wiring uo into room a.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here