Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony41

My home has no outside disconnect! DPDT?

tony41
14 years ago

Here in Arkansas in the county you are not required to have an outside disconnect. Of course the building contractor didn't do anything he wasn't forced too!

Service Entrance cable is not protected from load side of meter to the panel 25' away. Panel has 200 amp main breaker.

I would like to remove the meter base and replace with a combination 200 amp meter base and 200 amp overcurrent protection/disconnect.

Problem > The service entrance cable exits the meter base makes a 90 degree turn upward to the attic inside the outside brick wall. Its not possible for the entrance cable to have enough length to make new connections. I would not mind changing out the entrance cable but I see no way running new cable back in the outside wall. Would have to be surface on brick inside conduit.

Plan B - Contact Electric Coop Request disconnection of line side conductors from meter that are feed from 3" PVC underground.

Shorten the 3" conduit to accommadate installing a 200 amp Breaker/disconnect. Then connect underground service conduit to bottom of disconnect.

I would like to install a generator hook-up to this Plan B idea. Don't know if avaiable but a 200 amp DPDT switch. Top Side fused with 200 amp fuses.

Bottom pole would not need to be fused.

Comments (4)