Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combination Device Question

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 21:29

Standard duplex style - SP switch / SP switch (e.g. Leviton 5224). Isn't it "normal" for both switches to turn off (or on) in the same direction.

I've got one where they go in opposite directions and it seems a little odd. Unfortunately I don't have a second one handy to compare it to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combination Device Question

Perhaps an assembly error in manufacturing.
Some of these, probably not Leviton, are sold as individual components to be assembled when installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Despard

o

I'm thinking something was assembled incorrectly at the factory but I thought I'd check. Leviton's catalog doesn't specifically say and I don't see multiple versions of that style of switch (other than, obviously, color or amperage).

Definitely not Despard.

o

Or perhaps installed wrong. I don't see how they could be assembled wrong.
Tell us how you have it wired and exactly how it works. Does one of the switches need to be on for the other one to work?

o

I don't see how it could be installed incorrectly. It's a simple SP switch/SP switch combination device. One switch controls one set of lights, the other another set. At first I thought it might be a SP/3-way combo but both toggles are marked "on" and "off". The only thing odd is that off is to the left on one of the switches and to the right on the other.

o

This must be one of those fair and balanced switches manufactured by Fox NewsCorp.

I heard they were being recalled because of reports of serious injury when either switch is turned to the left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here