Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokie98

Can you make a lamp cordless?

hokie98
15 years ago

I've searched the internet high and low and am surprised I haven't come up with more on this subject.

To make a long story short, I'm looking to make some of my existing (or even new) table lamps cordless. I found this site that explains how to do it...for you savvy with elec stuff, does this make sense? Do you know of another way?

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for building a cordless lamp

Comments (18)

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

The link you posted sticks a very low power LED bulb in and runs it off a battery. You're not likely to be satisfied with that feeble glow in what you're envisioning.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

It's a cute idea but will be no brighter than one of the worst solar-powered outdoor lights. I like gadgets as much or more than the next guy but this is strictly a novelty, it won't produce useful light. If you want backup lighting there are battery backup night lights etc that would be better.

• wayne440
    15 years ago

A google search brings up several solutions, here is the first one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordless reading lamps

• pjb999
    15 years ago

That looks more like it! I suppose another possible source would be suppliers of lighting for travel trailers etc, if you had a secure out of sight spot, you could even hook up a 12 gel battery (like you get in big flashlights and alarm systems etc) but you want it to be secure from kids and dogs.

• hokie98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Wayne440 for the tip. I've seen that lamp online too, but I was hoping to find a more traditional table/accent lamp with a shade that would not only double as a reading light, but would add some decoration. But the link you sent is about the only cordless lamp I've found that would be powerful enough for reading, besides emergency/camping type lanterns. The whole 12 gel battery idea seems a bit cumbersome, so I guess I'm just out of luck! Thanks anyway for your help/suggestions.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Why don't you pay an electrician to run new outlets to where you want them in the floor? That would be the best long term solution.

• heimert
    15 years ago

i agreew with live wire oak. Can you get under the floor? Just run outlets off that center one

• hokie98
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The house is build on a concrete slab, so there is no basement, crawl space, etc. Someone else suggested that it could still be done by popping up some of the hardwood floor. To be candid, I can live without a lamp before doing anything that evasive. We don't plan on being in this house more than a couple of years, so to go through the hassle/expense of that probably isn't worth it. Thanks again.

• pharkus
    15 years ago

is something hanging down from the ceiling out of the question?

• abnorm
    15 years ago

Cut The Carpet ?

At the receptacle location....cut the carpet/rug and expose the cover.......run your lamp cords to the location ....Park the couch over the cords

• Billhutton_optonline_net
    12 years ago

I was researching the same idea,but not really needing it from center of room,just didn't have an extension cord. I found a cordless(wireless) extension. Problem is I don't remember where. It has a plug in "unit" to wall socket and another piece at lamp.Lamp would plug into this piece.It emits power in microwaves?.probably wouldn't go through walls? Not sure.I believe I searched wireless power cords?I found it!
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml
    good luck!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You are simply not going to tr5ansfer adequate power using microwaves for much more than an LED or two.

The efficiency of generating RF power is pitiful (if you can hit 25% you are doing very well) and then you need to convert it back into usable power at the receiver.

High strength RF fields are one of the few things that can actually be dangerous.

If you manage to get cataracts you will no longer need to worry about light for reading.

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

I think Bill was kidding about the "microwave" extension cord... or at least I hope so.

But...

Here is a link that might be useful: Toward more efficient wireless power delivery

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Yep, you could put your hot dogs out on the tray and cook them on the coffee table...

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Here is a link that might be useful: Toward more efficient wireless power delivery"

The existing technology uses magnetic field coupling.

You place devices equipped with a pick up coil on a mat with a field.

The distances are essentially zero, or at beast small fractions of an inch.

You can get slightly farther if you only need VERY small amounts of power.

This is how the toll road transponders operate.
    The field is very directional (notice you must drive under the antenna, and it only picks up from the lane directly underneath and barely enough power can be collected to allow a short transmission of a serial number to the collection equipment's radio receiver.

• yosemitebill
    12 years ago

The Thinkgeek.com link was a April Fools joke - just click on the "Buy Now"...

The MIT link is legit. While there are companies developing and now selling charging mats, Intel has been working on and has demonstrated a much more robust system. They used resonate coupling to transmit enough power to light a 60 watt light bulb over two feet away at 75% efficiency of input power. Their latest published system specs use a 7 MHz frequency and can transmit power at 80% up to about 6 feet.

Toll transponders can be either active with an internal battery for up to 300' transmission or passive with a much decreased but respectable range, and rely upon RF excitation from the reader for resonate transmission.

I'm not sure if I'd want want to be in a room with RF power distribution, since I know don't know of many other people with a background in broadcast engineering that actually even condone keeping a cell phone in your pocket all day, but the concept does seem to have much more potential than previously thought.

Maybe Tesla was right....

• foxglen
    6 years ago

https://www.modernlantern.com/ I found this site but would also love to convert my own lamps.