Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntmare230_gw

Will My Electrical Bill Be Crazy?

ntmare230
13 years ago

I'm wanting to run power to my barn. The wire will need to be 600 feet long. I'm looking at running aluminum 4/0 Triplex to the barn. My calculations are showing less than 2% voltage drop for 240 volts run to the barn. My question is how should I expect this to affect my power bill. If I built the shed 50 feet from the meter vs. 600 feet from the meter but use an appropriately sized wire will the bill get expensive or should it remain the same?

Thanks,

Freddy

Comments (10)

• spencer_electrician
    13 years ago

The distance from the panel will have absolutely no difference in power usage. You are simply up sizing the wire to deliver the proper voltage to the equipment using it.

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

If you don't run anything your bill will not change at all.

What amperage did you base your VD calculations on?
    4/0al will allow you to run 60 amps continuous.

600' of 4/0 URD is a LOT of wire$$$. And on top of that you need a ground so you can add another 2/0AL ground to that cost.
    What exactly is the anticipated load?

Why do you need less than 2%?
    IMO 3%-5% is more than adequate for anything you might run in a shed.

If you take into account voltage drop as you plan to, the distance will not change anything....other than material cost.

You say the distance is from the meter. Do you have a breaker panel or disconnect at the meter with spare breaker space?

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

I must say, my comment about cost is a significant one.

At 50' voltage drop is NOT an issue so "standard" wires sizes apply, and you are looking at close to $1000 difference.

• fixizin
    13 years ago

Not a pro, but at the distances and material costs being discussed, perhaps you should see what your POCO charges for a separate drop (+ meter) right at the barn, and let THEM worry about the voltage drop, lol. Maybe they got a 2-fer deal... ;')

• joed
    13 years ago

Triplex is no good. You need a four wire feed under 2008 code.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Fixizin, most POCOs charge full construction costs
    for a second service to the same property, for the same
    customer. Here, all underground services are customer
    installed, so no savings there. And they will allow no
    more than 200 ft. to the meter, because they are responsible for voltage drop at the meter. Also,
    there is a 'meter charge' every month, of approx.
    $15 per month, even if you don't use any power at all.

• fixizin
    13 years ago

pod, your points are valid, and sound like the norm for my POCO too, in a built-up metro area... but the OP sounds like he may be in a much more rural area... as such his POCO *might* be a non-profit co-op (occurring more and more), thus he might not have such high cost hurdles... just throwin' an option on the table... an option I "done learned" on this here forum. ;')

PS: Always wondered if there was some forgotten 1930s Rural Electrification Program still on the books, complete with an office full of overpaid, overfed, over-bennied, over-pensioned bureaucrats, sitting around, DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! =:O

• countryboymo
    13 years ago

Some utilities charge anything that isn't on a home as commercial rate which isn't near as good as running back out of your house or off the panel by the existing meter if possible.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

Fixizin, the next time you get your electric bill, look at the list of taxes and fees. Oncor/TXU still has a fee on their bills for rural electrification. Once a utility puts a charge on their bills it's easier to go to the moon than get an outdated fee removed.

• fixizin
    13 years ago

Oncor/TXU still has a fee on their bills for rural electrification. Once a utility puts a charge on their bills it's easier to go to the moon than get an outdated fee removed.

I KNOW!... that's why I was only half-kidding in my "PS" above... somewhere, in some forgotten office, these bureaucrats might still exist... like LEECHES attached to your wallet!... where's my soldering iron?... ;')