Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fletchb_gw

fluorescent light won't turn on in damp humid weather

fletchb
17 years ago

Hello,

First I wanted to thank those who were giving me advice around thanksgiving on finding a neutral. I had just bought my first house and was installing automation light switches and ran into trouble on a circuit that had 3 switches to control the overhead light/fan. To keep it short, over the Christmas holidays I had time off so I went at it again and found a white wire that had never been hooked into the bundle on the switch box closest load side. As soon as I put it in the bundle my middle switch (the 4 way) had a working neutral and I was able to get everything working. Still not sure why it couldnt get a neutral from the line side switchbox, but it's working perfect so I am not going to fret over it.

Anyway, I have an overhead 2 bulb fluorescent light in my carport that seems to have a problem in certain weather. Right now it is cold damp and humid outside and it took about 30 min to light up. Sometimes it takes less, sometimes it won't start working again till the next day.

Any idea what causes this? Can it be fixed or should I just replace it? I am about to convert the carport to a real garage but it will be a very slow process so the dampness it going to be around for awhile.

Thanks Fletch

Comments (5)