Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwaters247

wiring project

rwaters247
9 years ago

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am going to be building my own tv stand. I plan on putting outlets behind the game consoles and the tv. I am trying to figure out the best way to put in a surge protector. I am currently unavailable to put in a whole home protector as I am renting. Is there a way that i can somehow wire in a circuit breaker in line before the stand, or possibly a surge protector? or would a GFCI outlet be sufficient enough for each of the outlets? I know the easy answer would be just use surge protectors, but I have over 15 game consoles and am trying to hide all wires. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by rwaters247 on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 20:40

Comments (8)

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

A GFCI isn't going to provide any surge protection all it does is protect the occupants against leakage currents.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Buy a good surge supressor or perhaps UPS and plug everyting into it (you may find using the "squid" type distribution units more convenient if you have a lot of wall warts.

You're free to hide the cordage within the cabinets in any way you see fit.

As a renter you nave no business touching the actual building wiring.

• rwaters247
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i want to run like 7 outlets off one side of an outlet and the other half off the other side of the outlet that would be behind the tv. so basically it would be like a power strip just spread out instead of in a straight row. now im just trying to figure out the best way to protect all the consoles from anything like surges and stuff like that.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

You need a couple of surge protectors. It's easy to find ones that take as many as a dozen plugins. As mentioned, do not even think about trying to connect a surge protector somehow into the wiring. As a renter you aren't allowed to do that, and even if you were the owner it would be a terrible and illegal idea.

• rwaters247
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well i found the best solution to my "problem". I will just use outlets that have a surge protector built in to them behind the consoles. And for what its worth, I wasn't talking about adding a surge protector in to the wiring of the house, just the stand. I thought that would be apparent since i said i am unable to do a whole home protector. But thanks for the "help".

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

rwaters-
    It wasn't clear. This is what you wrote: "Is there a way that i can somehow wire in a circuit breaker in line before the stand, or possibly a surge protector?" When electricians or handymen use the term "wiring in," they don't mean plugging something in, they mean making a permanent modification to the existing wiring, which usually involves wiring disassembly, splices, and reconnections.

But I'm glad you have something that you think will do the job....

• rwaters247
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right, in line with the stand. but its alright I see how everyone just jumps to conclusions and think they know. I don't know who would have thought that I was talking about the house when I said " I am currently unavailable to put in a whole home protector as I am renting." so clearly I knew that i cant modify existing wiring. But hey I found something that will work. Next time I know that I'll be better off on my own then posting on this website.

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

What you got was FREE advice from people who give their time and knowledge to help others. If you don't like the advice you got you are not obligated to pay for it. There are a lot of people who have been around here for years tirelessly giving their time and knowledge to everyone, even to those who blow through here with a chip on their shoulder.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

rwaters-
    Sorry you feel that way. If you would have more experience on this site you would know that 99.9% of people here want to be helpful. When you posted your info, we did the best we could with what you had given us, and it looks like most of us took away the same conclusions that you now say are wrong. Nobody was trying to shoot you down. It turns out that you could have been clearer -- that's ok -- but getting p.o.'ed that we misinterpreted your query and suggesting we jumped to conclusions so we could give you a hard time...maybe not so okay.

I did realize you were new here and thought you might want to know how your query got misinterpreted so that the next time you had a question you might make it a little tighter to improve the quality of the response. But if people pointing out how you can be better served is interpreted as nastiness, I can't help you with that.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 22:33