Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring sta-rite 3/4 HP shallow well pump

Posted by PinellasGardener (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 19:57

Moved into new house last year to find sta-rite shallow well irrigation pump running continuously outdoors. I opened panel cover to find the well pump wired 240V and double tapped into the pool pump breakers.

I disconnected the well pump wires for safety concerns. Being there are no open breakers, is there any possibility of reconnecting the pump again and adding a manual power switch to ensure both pumps are not run simultaneously.

If not safe as I assume, could anyone recommend a safe, economical solution.(I would only use 2-3 times a week to water lawn)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring sta-rite 3/4 HP shallow well pump

I would recommend that you get an electrician to look over this mess. I'm less concerned with the irrigation pump for your lawn than the illegal and unsafe connections to the pool wiring. Large tanks of water that you're going to place yourself and your loved ones shouldn't be left up to some prior owner's DIY cob job.

Running a proper circuit and installing the pressure switch so the pump doesn't run when there is no demand is the right way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here