Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wease_gw

60 Amp sub panel

wease
13 years ago

I need a 60 amp subpanel for my kitchen remodel. Anyone have a link to one with 8 slots available? I can't seem to find one.

Comments (10)

• hendricus
    13 years ago

I picked mine up at Menard's, couldn't find any online. They have all kinds. Mine is a 12 breaker 60 amp panel.

• spencer_electrician
    13 years ago

You don't have to use a 60 amp panel. Use a 100 amp panel and feed it from a 60 amp breaker. The sub panel only has to be rated at or above the breaker size feeding it.

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Square D makes a 60A QO panel with probably dozen or more slots in it. I've got one in my house now.

Don't forget with QO's you need to buy an additional grounding terminal bar if you'r going to use it as a subpanel.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

I miss Smithy123

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

You may find that a 100 or 125 amp panel with a main costs less than a smaller or main lug panel.

Manufacturing volume is a big cost driver.

• wease
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So get a 100 amp panel and buy a 60 amp breaker for it and for the main panel? Or use the 100 amp that comes with the panel and use a 60 amp at the main?

• terribletom
    13 years ago

Spencer hit the nail on the head: Use any panel rated for 60A or better...and most 8-slotters on the market these days will be rated for up to 100 or 125 amps.

In the past couple of years, I've installed 8-slot panels made my Siemans, Cutler-Hammer and Square D Homeline, so there are plenty of choices out there. The big box stores carry main lug models of this size for about $25-30.

If you do get a panel with a main breaker, there's no need to "downsize" the breaker. Since overcurrent protection will be provided by the 60-amp breaker in the main panel, the "main" in the sub-panel will effectively serve as nothing more than a local disconnect.

OTOH, if you decide to install a "main" breaker in the sub-panel rather than use a pre-installed main, keep in mind that you'll also need a hold-down kit to prevent an idiot from pulling out the backfed breaker and not realizing that it is still energized (unless the power has been turned off at the main panel, natch).

• wease
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gotcha...and thank you.

One more thing. I've done my load requirement worksheet and wondered if I'll have any issues having a 40 amp breaker for a double oven running in a 60 amp panel. Total load was about 11,000 VA on my calcs.

Just wonder if there was a rule regarding the highest breaker in the panel vs the panel amperage.

• wease
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Well it doesn't make much sense to put a branch circuit breaker in larger than the one on the feeder, but it doesn't much matter other than that. You can put 10 50A breakers in a 60A panel if you're confident that you're not going to exceed the feeder rating.