11' x 11' room into a clothes closet separate

from any bedroom.

As far as electrical inspection is concerned

can this room be owner-defined

for wiring to code purposes?

Comments (11)

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

A closet is a closet. What do you want it "redefined" as? And what difference does it make?

• leslie_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't want it redefined...
    I wanted to know if I can define as
    a closet or is there a code definition.

In my location the difference it makes is:
    No closet shall have outlets installed
    and no pendant type light fixtures, as
    opposed to a regular room.
    I guess your code is different or you
    wouldn't have asked.

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

No receptacles? Really? Dumb rule IMO, but whatever.

Sure, call it a closet. Just make sure it really is a closet.

• awebster
    14 years ago

The code definition for a close closet is "a non-habitable room or space intended primarily for storage of garments or apparel". Placing recepticles is your choice but there are specific clearances that need to be met for lighting.

• joed
    14 years ago

I think you would need to install shelves and rods for hanging clothes in order for it to be called a closet. The hanging fixture rule I believe also states within 2 feet of shelf.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I guess your code is different or you wouldn't have asked."

What code is being followed?

he NEC allows receptacles, but places strict restrictions on lights since they are a source of heat and have lit many fires in closets.

Even ballasts for florescent lights get hot.

• jaylane
    14 years ago

what about a can light with a cover installed towards the front of the closet near the door? I'm getting ready to do 7 closets in my new build this weekend.

thanks

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"what about a can light with a cover installed towards the front of the closet near the door?"

This usually meets the NEC rules and more but ask the local AHJ since they have the final say.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

As far as the NEC is concerned, you can put a surface mounted or recessed luminaire with a completely enclosed lamp, or a surface mounted or recessed luminaire, or surface mounted fluorescent (and if you're in the 2008 NEC, LED) luminaires listed for storage areas.

Incandescent luminaires with not fully closed lamps and pendants are NOT permitted.

The clearance varies but absent some indication on the luminaire itself, it's 6-12" to the nearest "storage space" depending on where and what the luminaire is.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

When we moved into our home there was a can our closet ceiling. I popped down the lens and put a regular 100w bulb in there. I would shut off now and then. Finally I realized something was built into the can; a safety precaution and when I scrubbed away some sprayed in builders paint I saw a 60W max warning. Well 60W was harldly usefull in the 5 X 8 closet. I had some quotes for flourecent fixture inslalls and then notices a little glass bubble bulb fixture meant fo a can in a bathroom. It fir my ceiling can and looked a bit nicer than the falt lens that had been there. The extra space the glass bubble provided allowed me to put a 100W equivalent cfl in place. They sell 150W cfls which I think are also below 60watts but I think these bulbs are too long for the can.

• groundrod
    14 years ago

This might be a little late but, are you going in or coming out?