Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
generator blowing things up

Posted by rfryed (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 19:32

I have a little conundrum. I have to use my generator once in a great while, so I have my electrical box rigged to power it with a 40amp dual pole breaker that feeds the box. I kill the mains and turn on only the essentials. This time I had the generator running, registered 240v at the box. I turned on a 120v circuit and it only registered 45v. One circuit I turned on, blew the GFI plug and fried the microwave. Another fried a surge suppressor. I have done this before and it worked fine. The genny is probably 20 years old. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: generator blowing things up

First, you are breaking the law. You must have an automatic or manual interlock that keeps the utility from being backfed. Just relying on a non-interlocked opening of the main breaker while using the generator does NOT fit the bill.

I suspect there's something very wrong with your generator. If you haven't overloaded it, there's something wrong in it's regulation circuitry.

o

Or a missing neutral connection.

o

Good call Brick....That would do it as well.

o

Thanks for the input. When your utility company tells you it will be 24 hours before service and its 10 degrees out-- legality seems a little less important. However, since it didn't work anyway its a moot point. Looks like a new generator, transfer switch and microwave are in my future.

o

Consider your self lucky, you only killed a microwave, not a utility worker.

o

If you haven't already done this work... An interlock is cheaper than a transfer switch if you just want to do what you had already done before, except the interlock will make sure the main is off before the generator circuit is turned on. The tricky part might be finding an interlock kit for your model of panel. Be sure to shop around, mine for a Square D panel was priced between $65 and $185 for the same brand.

o

BTW: there are some Chinese made generators I'm seeing now that do not have a neutral connected on the 240v outlet. That is, they are either 120v or 240v but not 120/240v.

Be careful with what you get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here