Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratflinger

Service Entrance

ratflinger
11 years ago

We are preparing to start building and are doing a lot of the work ourselves. I am planning to trench, lay schedule 80, & pull the service entrance myself. This will be about 300ft. If I read the NEC correctly it looks like I need USE 2/0 cable for a 200a service. Is this correct? I will hire an electrician to make all connections, but I can pull cable as well as the next guy. Termination of the conduit will be at the disconnect box on one end and the generator ATS on the other. Are there any other items I need to pay attention to on the schedule 80 conduit?

Comments (10)

• btharmy
    11 years ago

Out of curiousity, how do you know you only need a 200a service. Did you do a resi load calculation? Also, how do you plan to pull the cable? Most homeowners wouldn't even be able to get the rope in, let alone the cable. Are you experienced in this somehow? I am just not seeing how a homeowner is going to figure the load and pull a 200a, 300ft feeder without any training. Are the disconnect and ATS already mounted?

• ratflinger
    Original Author
    11 years ago

200a service is what I have now & I'm downsizing and as I said there is no house yet. Let's see, hmm unroll the cable, slide on a joint of conduit, continue until done, dig trench, put conduit & cable in trench. I could even just throw the cable in the ground & cover it appropriately. No need to cop an attitude.

• elltwo
    11 years ago

I'm only responding so that no one thinks that underground services are installed as the OP supposes. Typically, conduit is constructed (glued and assembled) and placed (put in the ground at an appropriate depth) before wire is installed.

At least consult with an electrician before you start. I don't know too many who would like to make terminations with material that has been handled as you describe. Also, there will probably be two and maybe more 90 degree changes of direction.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Conduit systems are REQUIRD to be assembked and complete before any conductrs are pulled in to them.

Individual conductors are much easier to pull then USE cable.

USE is Underground Service Entrance, and suitable for direct burial.

The only part that may need protection is entry and exit from the earth.

A load calculation will tell you what you actually need instead of just guessing.

• ratflinger
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you brickeyee & eltwo for intelligent answers

• btharmy
    11 years ago

Sometimes it is prudent to ask follow up questions in order to provide an accurate answer. However, you appear to have a problem with this. That is no way to learn , if that was your intent at all. In your original post you said "I am planning to trench, lay schedule 80, & pull the service entrance myself." Then, In your follow up post you say you are going to slide one piece of conduit on at a time. Which is it? Don't vilify me because you change your mind mid stream. Is it any wonder I asked some follow up questions? I would hate to be the electrical contractor who had to follow up behind a homeowner who thinks he knows everything about electrical work. Why hire anybody? Sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck with your project. By the way, the other two who you thanked didn't answer your original question either. A point you missed in your eagerness to take a jab at me. By the way, I'd buy a ticket to watch someone slide one stick at a time onto some 200a feeder wire for a 300' length. Should be quite amusing.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Thank you btharmy for bringing up and making some VERY important points.
    You are pretty much right on with everything.

• ratflinger
    Original Author
    11 years ago

btharmy & petey_racer please go form a mutual ass kissing society. You 2 must be union electricians

• btharmy
    11 years ago

If you didn't have such a chip on your shoulder you would understand I was only asking questions. The fact that both of your post directly contradict each other is proof of why I ask such questions before giving an answer. It is normal to do so. It is impossible to give a proper/helpful answer without all of the details. Most people who are interested in learning something will tend to cooperate with those who might be of some assistance. Some people can't be helped at all. You can't teach one who thinks they already know everything. Good luck with your project.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

ratflinger, GFY.

You are all over the internet and it's not us with the chip, I can tell you that.