Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repairing a dangling light socket.

Posted by Chessenden (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 18:51

I have a Tiffany lamp over our dining room table. It has three 5" ball bulbs one of which has a socket that has come loose from its cap and the bulb is sort of dangling. Needless to say the chain pull does not work too well and it is most likely a fire hazard. Is it possible to shove the socket back into that crimped cap or is the whole socket ruined? I know zero about lamp repair and with this being a ceiling fixture, asking my husband to do it is going to meet with resistance. I just want the lamp to work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repairing a dangling light socket.

Pushing it back into place is easy (shut it off first). Getting it to stay there requires some inspection to figure out what is supposed to hold it. Some are just crimped, some have a setscrew which may be missing, some push up and then turn slighly to lock into place.

o

Thank you, ronnatalie. Wish me luck!

o

Hey Ronnatalie, I got the socket back in and then tried all three bulbs. Now I see one of the chain pulls does not work and when I attempt to move it down the light bulb flickers on but does not stay lit. Would you like to tackle this problem for me?

o

There is a pull-chain for each lamp for a total of 5, or one chain for all the lamps in the luminaire?

o

Often pull chain switches just need lubricating. Turn OFF the power to that assembly that includes the switch. Spray just one shot of WD-40 directly into the switch where the chain enters. Pull the chain about 4 times to see if it operates smoothly. If not, spray again. See if it operates smoothly. Wait two hours or more and turn ON the power. Often the switch will work better than when new.

o

There is a pull chain for each lamp. The darn fixture spins a bit so I am not entirely sure but I am pretty sure the chain that has no slack is from a different bulb than the one I was working on. Once they are lit, I use the wall switch so it has been a LONG time since I tried the chains. Now I need to because the bulb is out and I want everything working.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here