Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaansu

electrician put 12 gauge wire on 20A breaker???

jaansu
13 years ago

I just noticed that the electrician that did the wiring for our kitchen remodel put 20A GFI breakers on two circuits that have 12 gauge wire. I'm 90% sure these circuits were on 15A breakers before. My question is if these were mistakedly 20A breakers before he replaced them, would he notice at the breaker box when he was putting in the new breakers? If not, he could claim that he was replacing like with like and it was not his fault.

For the remodel, he replaced some full breakers with halfbreakers since there were more circuits.

Comments (19)

• btharmy
    13 years ago

The code requires at least 2 20amp dedicated circuits to serve the kitchen counter receptacles. Sounds like he was just doing his job.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Twelve gauge wire can handle a 20 amp breaker...or anything less, like 15 amps. You are fortunate that the 12 gauge was already in place as it allowed him to bring this to code without rewiring.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I made a mistake; it was 12 gauge I was hoping to see. There are two 20 amp breakers on circuits that consist of 14 gauge wiring for our bedrooms, not the kitchen. My fault for rushing it off. But the real question is:

when putting on the breaker, is it obvious the gauge of the wiring it is protecting?

• wayne440
    13 years ago

The difference between 12AWG and 14AWG wire is usually obvious to an experienced electrician or electrician's helper. It might not be obvious to a person who started the job two weeks ago.

Regardless of the former breaker rating, "like with like" or not, a 15a breaker should have been installed.

• fixizin
    13 years ago

Putting 20A CBs on AWG14 wires is a (theoretical) FIRE HAZARD. Put a stop on that check until corrected. The threat of notifying the AHJ should work wonders with such a blatant safety violation. ;')

• hrajotte
    13 years ago

WHAT blatant safety violation???
    The OP said it it 12AWG.
    Presumably, a licensed electrician would verify the entire circuit before increasing the size of the OCP device, but it wouldn't hurt to ask...

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Yes but he does have 20A on 14g circuits which need to be corrected. They're just not the ones from the current work.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry about the initial confusion. To recap, during the remodel, the electrician had to rearrange some of the breakers in the box and ended up putting a pair of split 20A breakers on circuits that are entirely composed of 14 gauge wiring. He was out today to see it, agreed with me and replaced with 15A breakers. Problem solved.

I plan to check out all my other circuits just in case. It's amazing how many problems and shortcuts I have found in an expensive house. Two taped splices hanging in a wall. Nearly all outlets connected using the backstab holes. And now this.

• joed
    13 years ago

Back stab holes are not illegal. Just not a good idea. For many people they are not any problem at all. It makes for speedier installs when time is money.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree, definitely a timesaver for builders like Toll Bros but I like quality better so I'm replacing all those 20 yr old outlets anyway and using the side terminals. Like all my other houses, eventually I hope to achieve quality systems in all places.

• xedos
    11 years ago

I wouldn't get worked up over a back stabbed outlet , especially on 14 ga wire.

Using the side terminals MAY provide a more secure attachment IF done properly. Attached counter clockwise or over torqued and it might actually be worse.

Cost of a home is not a good indication of quality ! $500k in Des Moines is a VERY nice house. $500k in Manhattan is a real dump and won't get you upgraded anything.

If you want to be sure you get good / great infrastructure you have to SPECIFY the level work to be done AND the type of material used. Our projects require Spec Grade outlets at minimum unless noted and they wire from the back , the wires are not looped around a terminal. If you or your designer , architect , builder don't specify - the sparky is going to use a 49 cent duplex receptacle every time.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

But you do get worked up over threads that are over 2 years old? :)

Why drag this up to the top?

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Halfway through reading all this I noticed the dates.
    Glad I didn't reply. ;)

• handyman1650
    10 years ago

20 amp breaker requires 12 gauge wire all outlets should be on a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge.

light switches should be 15 amp breaker with 14 gauge wire

kitchens and baths require a gfi or any outlet where there is a possibility of moisture or water

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Johnny-come-lately. Registered today to help with very old question.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

...and with the wrong answers.

A 20A breaker doesn't required a particular kind of wire, it's the 14G wire that precludes a large breaker than 15A. If there is more than one single receptacle on the 20A circuit, they can be 15A.

The statement about light switches is completely false. There's no requirement that light switches be wired with 15A circuits or 14 gauge wire, and frankly there's nothing that precludes you from putting 12g on the 15A breaker either.

Kitchen COUNTERTOP RECEPTACLES and bathroom RECEPTACLES. Not all OUTLETS. Further, there are a five more places that require GFCI for 15 and 20A 120V receptacles by code (laundry, unfinished basement, garage, near sinks, boathouses, outdoors, and in crawl spaces) and his guidance of "moisture places" doesn't strictly hold true.

There are a few other special requirements for places like pools, animal barns, etc... but those aren't normally encountered inside dwellings.

• joefixit2
    10 years ago

"all outlets should be on a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge. "

In what part of the world is this a requirement? And I am assuming you are referring to receptacle outlets?

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 19:09

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Not true in any part of the world. Not all the kitchen receptacle OUTLETS are required to be on 20A circuits (there are exceptions). 12G is not a strict requirement either.