Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extending Circuit from Existing Outlet

Posted by scottmel (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 18:27

I have a standard 15A duplex outlet that is middle-of-run and backwired in my family room. I want to tap into this outlet to install a brand new outlet in a closet on the other side of the wall.

I'm pretty handy with basic home electrical work, but want to verify something - can I just tap into the family room outlet using the screw terminals (as noted above, both sets of backwire slots are in use).

That would be a simple way to get the new closet outlet installed, but not sure if having three connections on one outlet (i.e., two existing backwire sets and adding one set of screw terminals) is "in code" or something potentially dangerous? FYI - the existing family room box is deep, so no wire capacity problems...I just want to avoid having to create a "pigtail" and tap the new outlet directly into the screw terminals of the existing family room outlet.

The new closet outlet will have low draw - just some recharging units for small vac, etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extending Circuit from Existing Outlet

If it is truly backwired, you can't put it both in the backwire and under the screw at the same time. It won't tighten the backwire.

If it's a backstab, you can use the screws but the thing is an unholy mess.

Use pig tails and watch the box fill units.

o
RE: Extending Circuit from Existing Outlet

Absolutely not - the screw terminals are designed for ONE WIRE ONLY and not a supplementary connection.

Backstab is a poor method of connection. Use pigtails as mentioned. Also make sure you're not overloading the circuit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here