Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowabucks_gw

Need an extra outlet in the bathroom and want some opinions

iowabucks
11 years ago

Hey everyone, I just finished an upgrade of my bathroom. New floor, woodwork, toilet, vanity top and faucet, along with a new coat of paint. Our bathroom is rather small 4'X 8'. Right now it only has one GFCI outlet next to the sink.

My wife likes to have a nightlight in there which takes up one half of the outlet, a radio used the other. When she uses her curler or hairdryer we have to unplug one of them to make way for it. The switch here is used for the medicine cabinet lights. On the other side of the bathroom i have two switches for a ceiling light and bathroom fan.

I would like to do this the easiest way possible. Since the bathroom project is pretty much finished (except for some trim work) i would rather not have to do any drywall work.

After looking at my picture of the location of the switch, can you tell me if it would look bad, or be against code to add another 2 plug gangbox above or below the existing one? I figured another outlet and a built in nightlight would fill all our needs. I don't really want to tear drywall out or put in another box in another farther away location. Again, it's a small bathroom and the location of the existing outlets can reach anywhere in the bathroom.

I don't think i have ever seen two outlet boxes stacked in a bathroom or any other room for that matter. That would be the easiest for me to do but i don't want it looking gaudy or not be within code.

Any opinions on how i should proceed?

Comments (8)