Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should a 30 amp, 2 pole breaker be hot on both "breakers"?

Posted by anniel89 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 18:20

Hi,

Just bought a new house. Old Magic Chef dryer runs but has no heat. I took it apart, checked all the t-stats and the thermal fuse for continuity. Everything checked out ok.

I went to the electrical panel and used my tester to check both "breakers" of the circuit - it's 2 in 1.

The top breaker is hot. The bottom one is not.

I replaced the breaker and I'm finding the same problem.

Should both breakers be "hot" - that is, have a current?

Far as I can tell electric dryers use one circuit to heat, the other to tumble, etc.

If one of those breakers is somehow not getting power, that would explain the problem. But why isn't the breaker getting power?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should a 30 amp, 2 pole breaker be hot on both "breakers"?

Both sides of a 240 breaker should have 120V to ground and 240V between the two of them. How are you measuring this?

o

I just put my tester (the one that beeps when you put the plastic tip on a hot wire) on the front of the breaker, next to the switch.

It buzzed on the top one, but not on the bottom one. Buzzed on all the other breakers as well.

o

1. A dryer uses 240 for heating, both lines, and 120 for controls and motors, one of the lines.
2. When you replaced the breaker was there a tab or slot for both sides of the breaker? Try moving the breaker by swapping with another, can be as simple as pulling a single next to the double, move the double one space and place the single in the open slot.

o

Both poles of the breaker should be "hot". I'd suggest turning off the breaker and then turning it back on. It's not uncommon for one half of a double pole breaker trip without making it visually apparent that it is tripped.

If it trips again, then additional investigation is warranted.

o

A two pole breaker that doesn't take out both poles when either side trips is DEFECTIVE and needs to be be replaced.

His non contact tester is NOT a really great way of diagnosing things.

o

A non contact tester and even some digital volt meters are not all that reliable in crowded wiring.

A DVM's input impedance is often so high it can pick up 'stray voltage' by capacitive coupling, the same 'trick' that non-contact testers use.

Luckily the error is usually to indicate voltage is present when it is NOT actually there.

It can make trouble shooting a PITA though when it says dead circuits are still live.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here