Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Put Dining Room & Living Room Receptacles on Same Circuit?

Posted by tom_in_seattle (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 15, 10 at 18:06

I was under the impression that the receptacles in the dining room were considered to be part of the small appliance circuits required for the kitchen and thus could not be combined with any other room receptacles.

True? Or can I conbine them with our living room if I decide to upgrade the living room to 20A?

I will have two other kitchen SA circuits in addition to the 20A receptacles in the dining room.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Put Dining Room & Living Room Receptacles on Same Circu

Of course you can put dining room and living room receptacles on the same circuit.

The linkage between dining room and kitchen receptacles is more of an exception than a rule.

o

Of course you can put dining room and living room receptacles on the same circuit.

Terribletom your answer is completely wrong. Dining room receptacles must be on a 20A small appliance circuit, and SA circuits can NOT supply anything in the living room.

Code requires 2 or more SA circuits, and the fact that there are already 2 SA circuits in the kitchen doesn't change the fact that the 20A circuit supplying dining room receptacles is also to be considered a SA circuit.

The linkage between dining room and kitchen receptacles is more of an exception than a rule.

"Linkage"??? This is jibberish. Code consists of rules and exceptions, but not of some middle-ground mush. You should either read the code before answering, or admit you're making it up as you go along.

o

Tom, are you serious? I hope this post was meant as a joke.

Samneric is completely correct here.

o

"Tom, are you serious? I hope this post was meant as a joke."

Yup, groan, I was serious. And I was wrong. Which makes me seriously wrong. Thank both of you for the save.

I think the source of my confusion had to do with switched receptacle exception. I was pretty sure you could run those off of a G.P. circuit but didn't realize that was the extent of the exception. (Yes, I went back and reread that part and you two are, not surprisingly, 100% correct.)

I swear I will wear my dunce cap for the entire weekend--at least. Promise.

o

terribletom-
Keep the dunce cap available to loan out. Some of the rest of us occasionally need one, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here