Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Heater

Posted by cubbiesfan1908 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 17:59

Hi all,

I want to replace a standard bathroom exhaust fan with a exhaust fan/heater combo. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it can be pretty cold in the bathroom in the morning.

My home has the electrical wires running through conduit which I understand is local code.

I want to wire the fan/heater in such a way that there is a switch for the fan and one for the heater. During the summer, I'll want to run the fan but not the heater.

Can I just run an extra hot and neutral wire through the existing conduit to add another switch?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Heater

Yes you can though sometimes it's a bit rough to pull an additional conductor through a conduit that already has stuff in it. They make double switches that fit where one switch goes.

The questions are:
1. Can the circuit handle it. Most likely yes, the heater+light rarely exceeds 1200 Watts. Of course, you'll have to decide what else is on that circuit (not really so much a code factor than a nuisance factor). If it's on the same circuit as the receptacles in the bathroom, anybody with teenager daughters knows that one of those monster blow driers can trip a circuit.

2. Can you shoehorn the unit you want into the space your existing fan is in and get the exhaust duct to line up.

o
RE: Wiring Bathroom Exhaust Fan/Heater

You won't need an extra neutral. The fan and heater will share the neutral. You will only need the hot wire to control the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here