Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hair dryer wiring

Posted by jbatts29 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 17:53

ok so i'm the type of person who loves to make complex things out of simple crafts and I've run into a problem. I make these small glass ornaments and i color the inside of them with stained glass paint. the only way to get then to dry is to create circulation inside the ball. I built a contraption to dry six at a time using a hair dryer and some tubing. my problem is is that when i set the dryer on cool it still runs current through a small part of the heating element. this is just enough to cause over heating of the unit. every time i try to bypass this heating element the diodes on the contacts for the motor explode. what am i doing wrong? i can't seem to find the voltage for the motor and the only thing i can think of is that the heating wire provides enough resistance to lower the amount of current going in to the diodes. does this make sense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hair dryer wiring

Most hair dryers do use a portion of the heating element to drop the voltage going to the motor. Some hair dryer motors will run just fine on 12 volts DC.

As for what you are doing wrong- you are using a hairdryer well outside its designed use, when another device is bettter suited. A small blower would probably be more appropriate.

Here is a link that might be useful: blower

o

Might I recommend a small, 120volt air matress pump. They can be had for less than $20 in most places. No heat, less $ to operate.

o

everything i read about the air mattress pumps is that they do overheat. i am looking into waynes suggestion though. all the air pumps i had found previously were way to expensive

o

Aquarium pump.

o

i tried an aquarium pump but it just doesn't move the air enough

o

Vacuumm pump or cleaner.

o

How about a cabinet fan like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet cooling fans

o

Ideally you will have a blower rather than a fan so it will work well with some pressure. Inexpensive surplus blowers can be found easily. Just be sure to cable your new contraption carefully if it uses line voltage.

http://www.herbach.com/

http://www.sciplus.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: surplus

o

A vacuum sucking air out will have the same effect as a blower blowing air in.

o

That is a very good point that opens some good design alternatives. The ornaments and "contraption" must be able to withstand the vacuum as opposed to pressure.

Is the air going into these ornaments filtered to keep dust out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here