Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Romex cable vs. BX with PVC conduit over it?

blondelle
11 years ago

Come on guys! Please help me out here. I have to decide what to do and the only man of the house has a tail and 4 legs and is no help :-). I give so much of my time over on the kitchen and bath boards but I know nothing about this and can use your help. We are near the ocean and just had Sandy flood damage but the wiring the other times in against a damp concrete wall and I want to prevent further future water damage if there's another flood or general corrosion of the cable.

Is BX with a PVC conduit over it a better choice than Romex cable? I don't think they use that much Romex in NYC. Please let me know.

Also, please on my other post above is $275 to rewire each receptacle for the entire length both up to the ceiling switches and back down the next receptacle a good price. I need to sign a contract and have no idea. PLEASE help! this poor gal out!

Comments (8)

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Please don't start a new thread just to add into to an existing one.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

If you are anticipating at repeated replacement, conduit is going to be less expensive than installing new cable. Nothing you have suggested will survive salt water immersion so any of it will have to be replaced.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ionized. I'm ripping it all out and starting from scratch and doing new cable. I'm trying to determine if BX cable with a PVC conduit over it is a better choice that Romex cable for replacement. I don't plan to continually rip it out as I hope there are no more Sandys to come. I also need something that will help prevent the cumulative damage from cable being against damp concrete over the years and some minor flooding here and there. I don't have the money now for waterproofing the concrete. It's been that way for over 50 years.

I'm sorry, but I found about about PVC conduit after posting the other thread. It would have been nice if you helped, rather than criticize.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Understand you wiring methods may be limited by local code and the interpretation of those codes by the inspector (AHJ). If you want to do something "odd" you might want to run your plans by the AHJ before starting your project.

Typically cable (meaning a bundle of individual wires wrapped in either a plastic or metal jacket) isn't run inside of conduit except for short distances to provide physical protection. Running BC (actually types MC or AC) inside of plastic conduit makes little sense if your concern is moisture. Use individual wires with a THWN jacket (which is almost all commonly used building wire today).

If you want minimize potential damage in the future and, say, your basement is prone to flooding, keep wiring and devices above that flood point.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike. I don't know what those initials mean. Are you saying that the conduit makes little sense as the plastic protection over the BX offers the same protection? I had thought it would better protect the BX from moisture. The BX cabling we have now is old and is the older metal covered one. I understand now they have BX with a plastic coating over it to protect against moisture. Are there any down sides to using the PVC conduit, other than cost? Thanks again for taking the time to help me. It's hard for someone to figure out what to do with no knowledge in this area.

• hendricus
    11 years ago

you don't use any cable, BX or Romex, in conduit. Use individual wire that is rated for wet locations. You install the conduit and then pull the wires through. The wire to use is THWN where the W stands for wet. Neither BX, Romex or conduit is water resistant, only the individual wires are.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

UF cable is rated for wet use (buried underground).

It is a PITA to use though.
    Instead of paper filler like NM it has a solid plastic injected jacket around the individual wires.

Receptacles and other components are not likely to survive immersion though, especially in salt water.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

BX refers an older type of cable wrapped in a flexible metal jacket although I've found that it means slightly different things to different people so I try stick with current "official" terms. For modern residential construction there are two types of cables with a flexible metal jacket - Type AC and Type MC. In terms of use they are generally interchangeable. Type AC does not have a individual grounded conductor and the equipment ground is furnished via a combination of the metal jacket and a thin aluminum bonding strip placed under the jacket. Type MC has a full size insulated grounded conductor. Neither is approved for use in wet locations.

There is a special type MC with PVC coating that is approved for wet locations. I've never used it or even looked for it so I don't know how common it is. If it's not something your electrician uses, you can end up buying an entire reel just to use a few dozen feet, adding to the cost of your project. There's no need to run any type of cable inside of conduit other than physical protection. If moisture is your concern use a product rated for wet locations.