Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
split kitchen receptacles still up to code?

Posted by w0lley32 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 17:39

Hi! I was ready to add an additional outlet on my kitchen coutertop, when I read pjb999's post where you seem to indicate that newer code doesn't allow split 15A receptacles any more, even in Canada. Is that the case?

Also, what is the code requirement about the bathroom receptacle? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: split kitchen receptacles still up to code?

In Canada the newest code requirement for the kitchen counter receptacles are:

Inside the GFCI zone, which is everything inside 1.5m from the sink, only 2 wire 20A T-slot receptacles, GFCI protected by a breaker or in the first receptacle. Only 2 receptacles per circuit.

Outside of the GFCI zone but again for countertops, only 3 wire 15A split receptacles with no GFCI protection. Gone is the requirement for adjacent receptacles to be on different circuits.

OK, now bathrooms: There must be at least 1 duplex receptacle within 1m of one of the wash basins. It must also be located at least 1m horizontally away from a bathtub or shower if possible. If not possible, it may not be closer than 0.5m from the tub or shower. This is only permitted in very small bathrooms. It must also be either a GFCI receptacle or protected by a GFCI breaker. No special circuit is required for the bathroom receptacle. It may be powered by a nearby lighting circuit.

o

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response.

o

Kitchen code is not exactly as described above, at least not in Ontario.
Kitchen counter receptacles can be either 20 amp non split or 15 amp split. The 15 amp split is not banned.
GFCI protection can be either a 20 amp T slot GFCI or 15 double pole GFCI breaker.
Outside the GFCI zone you can still use 20amp T slot receptacles.
In Ontario it is 1 meter from sink not 1.5 meters for GFCI.

o

So can I wire an additional split receptacle off of an existing 15 amp split out side the GFCI zone, and how do I wire it? Do I pigtail the red , white and black off the first receptacle?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here