Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosscoe49

power meter

rosscoe49
17 years ago

Has anyone heard of putting a big magnet beside or behind the power meter to slow it down ? Yes I know it is not very nice to the power company ,but does it work?

Comments (9)

• jason1083
    17 years ago

I doubt it.

• turnkey155
    17 years ago

I cannot say about the performance of the magnet but the wheels of justice do.I work in a county jail and when times get hard I get to house these people trying to save some cash.I have seen it happen more than once
    turnkey

• genr8rs
    17 years ago

I wont answer if it will or won't, but I can say having been a meter reader and later a meter tech working on electric meters I have been involved in prosecuting folks that tamper with their meters. And I approached it with zest. I really enjoyed find these cases. How would you like to own a restaurant and the customer left without paying, or a family grocery store and a customer pushed the cart past the checkout. I can only hope that someday somebody figures out a way to cheat the cheater. Tampering with the electric mater is a felony. See you soon.

• rosscoe49
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Calm down people I am not doing it and will not be doing it . I was just curious. Wow relax.You make it sound like murder.I have heard of people doing this that is all. Not cheating anyone Thanks

• Pooh Bear
    17 years ago

With electricity and magnetism linked so closely,
    I wouldn't want to be the person holding the magnet.
    Can't say that it would be a problem. But I wouldn't try it.

Find better ways to lower your electric bill.

Pooh Bear

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

I had a meter that would stick.
    Bang it with the heel of your hand & it would stop spinning - revolving wheel would just sit there and twitch for days. Sometimes you needed to bang it again to make it spin for the expected meter reader.

Another house the power company replaced my meter one day with a really deep one. Had a really bright red glowing digital read out - stuck way out there off the side of the house. One of the first experimental digitals I guess. Had a small pull lever on the front of it. Pulled it just exploring.. reset it to Zero. Ooops. Was expecting the readout to change to amps or volts or something. They eventually put a seal on that lever. It was a very tempting lever.

• genr8rs
    17 years ago

mikie, in yur case the power company installed a demand meter. One of the things they were looking at was the irregular or low use the old meter was displaying. The sticking could be because of several reasons including age. When you banged it with your hand you would knock it off of alignment with the disc supension field.

The discs ride on a magnetic field rather than bearings. This suspension creates no drag on the spinning axis of the disc. The magnetic field that turns the disc increases and decreases with the amount of electricity flowing through the meter. The point of the demand portion of the meter is to register a certain amount of load over a 15 minute interval. The meter registers this load and then resets itself every 15 minutes but doesn't loose the read unless the next or another 15 minute interval registers higher. Then it captures that read. What you did was reset the demand. Again that is tampering.

Didnt mean to jump on roscoe49 but people need to be aware how serious this is. The charges differ in states but you could get jail time and convictions that follow you for life, ruin your credit or cost you your job alll for shortening your electric bill. I have seen it all and found them all.

• jason1083
    17 years ago

Around here (Detroit) you hear about idiots frying themselves trying to save money or reconnect their electricity (Jumper cables are a common one). I know one person who when the utility physically cut the service wire (supposed to be at the pole, lineman did it at the house) just touched the wires back together. The utility found out about it, came back and did something with the meter head, and put locks on the meter box. I do recall he had a heck of a time getting it turned back on, since the utility was pissed about the illegal hookup.

• slim433_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hey meter tech guy I have a problem that u may be able to help me with our eletric goes off and back on like 4 times in a row very fast every now and then sometimes 2 or more times a month when this happens our eletric bill is always higher and with the new rates the months it does it can make a 100 bucks differance what is the trouble and why won't the eletric come out and check it like I ask them too. Thanks for any info