Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing new outlets

Posted by matt756 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 17:20

hello everyone, im installing new outlets in my aunts house because her wall has water damage. there were no previous outlets where i am putting these new ones. my question is how big of a hole do i need in each wood stud for either 12 gauge wire or 14 gauge wire?

i was planning on 1 to 1.5 inches for each hole.

there will be only one cable in each hole.

i am also going to be putting in cable tv and telephone jacks. should i use a 1.5 inch hole for those also?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing new outlets

i just installed electric in my shed and only drilled a 7/16 hole. worked great

o

1" is more than sufficient, even for future wiring.

o

ok thanks

o

Make sure you drill in the center of the stud. Also go no larger than you need. 1/2" to 3/4" is plenty for one 12/2 romex cable.

o

Matt, just so you know, most areas allow homeowners to work on their own wiring. That doesn't include your aunt's unless you hold the deed to the house. You won't be able to get a permit.

In theory at least, you could be held liable if something goes wrong with your unpermitted work.

If your wiring gets dinged by the home inspector when it's time for her to sell, she'll probably have to pay a pro to come out and re-do your work. That won't be cheap.

o

If the edges of the hole are less than 1.25 inches from the faces of the stud a nailing plate is required to protect the wiring.

Have your Aunt pull a permit.

In most places it is only 'for hire' work that is prohibited.
You can 'help' your Aunt do the work.

o

i will have my aunt pull a permit.

i have to go over a window. when i come down in-between the studs do i have to staple the wiring in place to a stud?

also can i run cable TV and telephone in the same hole or do they need separate holes in the studs?

thanks for all the help

o

matt-
The reason to keep the holes to the smallest size manageable is that bigger ones unnecessarily weaken the studs and the wall. And, yes, since you have open walls you want to staple the cable to the studs. If you are using plastic boxes, you should staple the cable within 8" of the box.

o

If you fish wires into stud cavities no attachment beyond the cable clamp at the box is required.

o

ok so do i need to run cable tv and phone in 1 hole or 2 smaller seperate ones?

o

They can go through the same hole.

o

thanks for clearing that up ronnatalie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here