Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjayhawk

Add a light in the closet

imjayhawk
11 years ago

Hi - I would like to add a light to my bedroom closet. I have an outlet right outside of my closet. Is it ok to run power to this light from this outlet. There are two outlets in this receptacle and I see a black and white on each. Can you please help with wiring of how I can possibly get power from it?

Comments (8)

• randy427
    11 years ago

Yes, it's probably permissible, and even doable, as long as it's not a switched receptacle.
    You can probably find a well-illustrated book on basic wiring at your local library.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

There are rules about where you can locate lights in clothes closets, typically 12" from any storage area (or 6" for fluorescent fixtures).

Try "Wiring Simplified" from Home Depot or WalMart.

• imjayhawk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not a switched receptacle. Is there no info available online?

• homebound
    11 years ago

If one has not done nor witnessed any wiring work closely, this is not the place to take a stab at it. (Swapping out light fixtures does not count.)

Books are more thorough, while internet is too random to thoroughly describe something like this. Even though it may be "simple", that applies to someone with experience who can already "see" the potential issues. Making the proper connections is something that is mentioned online, but hardly ever demonstrated in the "How to" sites.

• imjayhawk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not a switched receptacle. Is there no info available online?

• imjayhawk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your responses .. I did end up at Lowe's today and referred to the Wiring book there, it just so happened that the picture they had as an example of a wiring diagram was exactly what I wanted to do :)

Source --> Receptacle --> Receptacle ---> Single-pole switch ---> Light

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Expect new regulations in the building codes (separate from the NEC) in the next few years requiring occupancy sensors for lights in walk-in closets and door switches for non-walk-ins. And not all occupancy sensing switches are compatible with fluorescents. See how housing just gets more affordable with each new regulation?

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

What you want to do is one of the most basic re-wiring tasks. Since you don't have much experience with this, I suggest you get a friend to help who is more knowledgeable about wiring. I remember 30 years ago when my level of knowledge was minimal, too. I got a book and made some changes that I thought were correct. When I became more knowledgeable a year or two later, I realized that I had made some simple errors due to inexperience that could have caused a hazard. I'm all for learning by experience and being self-taught, but electricity is the one area of home repair that can cause a fire or kill you if you mess up, so play it safe and get some help.