Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susb8383

Outlet for Electrical Range

susb8383
9 years ago

Hi,

I posted this on the kitchen forum, but I don't think it went through.

I'm going to replace our electric range with an induction range (probably Bosch).

When I pulled out our current range to check the outlet, I found that we don't have an outlet in the wall. We have a box, for lack of a better word, attached to where the wall meets the floor by about 3 inches of cord. (see picture).

Anyone know if this is code? I live in MA. This range is probably about 15 years old.

I was expecting to see a wall outlet. The Bosch we're planning to buy says that it has a recessed area about 12 inches up from the floor to accommodate an outlet. (Our old range had a recess starting at the floor level, so this 'box' sitting on the floor fit.)

Just wondering if the Bosch is unusual and I should look for a different range that accommodates our setup, or if a wall outlet is more to code and we should have an electrician put one in regardless of what range we get.

Thanks.

--Susie

Comments (9)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

Looks like an outlet that's not attached to the wall?

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

As long as that outlet is physically attached to the subfloor there and there's no way that little 3" piece of exposed wiring can get damaged by something rolling over it or smashing against it, it's fine.

The biggest issue is that these induction cooktops consume a LOT of juice. Where a standard cooktop might be 30A the inductions can pull as much as 50A (just for the cooktop).

You need to get the manual for the Bosch and read what it requires for power to find out if what you have is adequate.

• susb8383
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, the outlet is not attached at all, just lying free.

I was also wondering if the juice is the same.

The outlet is 3 prong.
    The sticker on my current range (a Frigidaire) says:
    60 hz
    10.0 kw at 120/240
    7.5 kw at 120/208

which means nothing to me.

The Bosch manual says:
    "The range requires a minimum of a three wire 120/240 or 120/208 volt, 40 or 50 AMP, 60 Hz AC circuit. Check local codes for proper amperage ratings.A four wire connection is preferred."

Sounds to me like they are the same?

Although I don't know the amps of my current set up. I assume it is at least 40.

--Susie

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

What is the gauge of the existing wiring to the range?

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

Guessing you may not be able to tell the gauge of the wire, but what size is the breaker/fuse?

10kw / 240v = 41 amps. So you either have a 40 or 50amp breaker.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

BTW: an outlet like this does not necessarily go IN the wall but ON the wall.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

There's nothing that prohibits it from being mounted on the floor (provided it won't be damaged) but it should be attached to something.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

My main concern, looking at the picture, is whether that wire coming out of the wall is adequate gauge to prevent a fire. Frankly, that looks like a hack installation and, when you see something like that, it tells me it was done by someone who lacked adequate wiring knowledge. Also, if what is coming out of the wall is extension cord wire, it's an illegal installation. Where does the other end of this wire go? I think it's time to get an electrician involved.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Kudzu's concerns are correct. We need to know what is written on the outside of that cable. If it's 8-3 Type NM or something like that, you're probably OK. If it is the same kind of cordage that the plug has going to the existing range, again you are in big trouble.

Best bet would be to have an electrician look at it.