Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniflow

running NM cable in attic.

uniflow
11 years ago

I am going to install some ic recessed lighting cans and need to run wiring in my attic. It has blown in cellulose covering the 8" joists by about 2". Digging through the insulation and drilling joists to run wire through is going to be a huge headache.

To run wiring more easily without compromising safety I have come up with the idea of building a raceway. I will take 3/4" OSB and rip enough 2" strips to run two of them side by side across the top of the joists for the length of my attic, right down the center where headroom is maximum. They will be 6" apart and have pieces of 3/4" OSB nailed across the top as a cover. All new wiring will run through the raceway then branch off and be stapled to the side of the joists where the fixture will be placed. The wiring will come out of the raceway near the attic scuttle in my garage where I can run it down to the entrance panel easily.

The wiring will be enclosed on the top and two sides and be thoroughly protected from damage. Am I overlooking anything?
Thanks for your input, Jim

Comments (2)