Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmore_rehabber

They don't make my electric panel cover any more - what now?

bmore_rehabber
9 years ago

So it appears I have an old Cutler-Hammer breaker. My 100-year-old house was entirely re-wired about 7 years ago, and the electrician had left a cardboard cover with cut-outs for the breakers, instead of putting a metal panel cover on. After finishing 97% of work in the house and getting the inspection, the electrician disappeared. No calls answered or returned in a year of trying. He didn't owe too much based on items I'd paid for in advance so it didn't seem worth pursuing in court. I'd heard rumour that he had some health problems, but now I think this might be why he avoided me.

Fast forward 6 years. I've been living in the house for a while, but hadn't gotten a final inspection for the use and occupancy permit. When I recently did get an inspector in he failed me for not having a cover (I had taken the cardboard off). I bought (and returned) an Eaton CH8LF - it fits the 39" box and screw holes, but the hole for the main breaker doesn't come close to lining up with mine (hole too low, plus vertical orientation instead of the horizontal I need), and it's for 42 circuits instead of my 40. I went and checked the CH8KF, made for a 37" box. It's just tall enough that I could have it cover the height and I could drill some screw holes to fit, but the hole for the main and other breakers are still way off.

In talking with the clerks at a couple stores (Rexel and a local supplier) it sounds like there may have been a change-over 10-12 years ago, no one makes a cover for this any more, and they didn't give me any direction on where to go from here. My guess is now that the electrician used an old box from his truck (trying to save a few bucks) and hoped he could find a cover.

Two questions: 1) Does anyone know what the model might be for this box, and 2) What might I do to get the inspection passed? So maybe it's more a question for those of you who know code or inspectors.

Options that I can see, in order of my happiness: I'm quite happy to do the cardboard again and see what the inspector says. Assuming that doesn't work ... fabricating something out of wood/plastic. Finding another brand that I can retrofit to the box and breakers. Finding an old model number and somebody selling one online. Checking a bunch of second-hand hardware resale places and getting lucky for one that has this box and panel. Paying an electrician to totally move everything into a different box that has a panel.

I should mention that there's no identifying stickers inside, but one mentions Cutler Hammer. Based on their diagrams (found here: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/Residential/ LoadcentersandCircuitBreakers/BRLoadcenters/index.htm#tabs-2 page 28) it clearly has their knockout holes).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Obviously I'd like to be living in the house legally and will want a real panel even if I can get past the inspection without one.

This post was edited by bmore_rehabber on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 16:22

Comments (8)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If the cover is still in use in new production, the electrical wholesaler for C-H can get one for you. Buy the complete new panel if necessary and use just the cover.
    Second choice is to find a present-day C-H panel with cover of the same overall size and have the openings modified for your panel. A shop with good MIG welder and shears can do the work. Repaint the cover after any work such as welding that burns the original paint.
    I have made a couple of covers from 16 gauge and it is a LOT of work. I did the cutouts on a die-maker's stationary jigsaw. Those are rare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Die saw

• btharmy
    9 years ago

Are the breakers in the panel type BR (all black) or type CH (with tan handles)?

• bmore_rehabber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All black.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Should it be necessary to fabricate or modify a panel cover for your panel, DO NOT make mention of that fact to anyone. The inspector could insist that a genuine unaltered cover be used. But only if he thinks that the cover he sees is not genuine. Workmanship on the cover is crucial.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Panels are typically offered with the choice of cover for flush or surface installation of the panel. Surface mount has the panel projecting from the wall on which it is mountedSurface mount covers will have flanges bent to wrap around the edges of the panel enclosure. Flush mount covers have flat edges to lay against and overlap the wall surface. And the inspector should accept the flush mount cover for all applications.
    The flush mount is easier to fabricate in the shop.
    The moniker "Baltimore rehabber" makes me suspicious about parts of the story. This may be a case where the real story is that a disgruntled renter or foreclosed owner removed and discarded the panel cover for spite and the poster, perhaps a flipper, is trying to repair that on the cheap. I do not object to that activity, but I especially treasure the truth. I suspect that most saying they want help here also want to be told the truth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pael mount

• bmore_rehabber
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Umm, while I appreciate your attempts to help, I don't really appreciate whatever you're trying to speculate. It's my house, I owned for a few years as a vacant before fixing it up enough to live in (with my wife and kid). I've been involved in a couple other rehabs in my neighborhood since, but mostly I just needed to pick a handle before posting. Way to read too much into the handle of somebody's first post ...

• bgeery
    9 years ago

Check eBay. You will find tons of parted out old panels there. Search for the panel model, panel part number and, cover part number.

• Vith
    9 years ago

I agree with what was recommended above, contact the manufacturer. Try to get an email discussion going with them, maybe send them some pictures so they know what you need, they may have the correct cover.

Otherwise get one of those covers you mentioned that almost works, then have it altered by a welder and get a finish coat of paint to match so it is looking good so it passes.