Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Oven design options with current wiring...

mlo1
12 years ago

Hello...We have a desire for a seperate 27" wall oven and 30" induction cooktop vs our current slide in Range. The home was built in 2008 and to my surprise has a 75' long aluminum range feed on a 40amp breaker. The sheathing reads Stabiloy AA-8030 AL type SE style R XHHW-2 600v CDRS 6 awg and is a 3 wire. The panel is a Siemens 30 slot 200 amp.

Is this current wiring capeable of what we are contemplating? It would be a very difficult circuit to re-run because of a lack of access both above and below meaning interior demo. Was hoping to sort-of look at this from a reverse engineering perspective and plan around the cutrrent circuit. We do have an un-used dedicated 20 amp 110v circuit several feet away that was originally intended for a microwave. Not sure if that helps anything. Thanks for any input!

Comments (4)

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

You'll need to look at the ratings of the appliances involved. However, induction cooktops usually have a pretty healthy draw and may need to be on that range circuit by itself. There are some wall overs that could run on the 20Amp circuit if you reconnect it as a 240V (would not involve pulling new wire) circuit.

• mlo1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like the oven is rated 240v 3.6kw 15 amps and the cooktop rated at 240v 7200w 30 amps.

The 30 slot panel is full with many of the breakers already what I will call double mini's. I likely should entertain seeing about a larger panel for the possibility of having some circuits added. Seems I have read that some manufacturers panels will accomadate more breakers without upping the service rating.

Thank you for your time!

• dodge59
    12 years ago

We "bit the bullet", our old range had alum wire running to it. We replaced it with copper and used that to run the induction cooktop, but at the same time ran copper for a regular 30" oven and another line for our Elux Speed oven.
    Wasn't that expensive once we figured out the least invasive and easiest run for the new wiring.

I sleep a lot better at night , knowing that aluminum wire is GONE from our kitchen, alto we bought this house new in 1975 and never had a problem, but I just don't like the idea of pullin all that power across aluminum wires.

The 120 volt circuit won't help you with the oven or the induction.

Good luck on your project---try to find a "Hungry but reliable electrician"!

Gary

• mlo1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My electrician was the high bid and I still hired him based on a good local reputation. My up-front position was that I wanted premium quality and US made products where possible. I have been surprised more than I like with things like "backstab's" (which he ranted against in the beggining), severely twisted wires pointed out by the inspector, the aluminum range wire which he insisted I was being rediculous over, confused "ghost" circuits after sheetrock, and a panel that is maxed-out. He is now gone from the area. I wish I new a hungry pride-full sparky.