Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twolabs_gw

Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting with Romex?

twolabs
12 years ago

Hello all-

I am a novice in all things electrical. I wanted to hook up two small low voltage spot lights in front of our house on either side of our front entry sidewalk to shine up our columns. Since I'm not much of a handy man, I decided to have the landscape guys run the wire for me since they were already installing our landscape.

My plan was to run low voltage wiring from inside the garage through the existing conduit (sprinkler system wiring) out into the front flower bed and then about 20 feet to either side of the sidewalk. I had a transformer to mount inside the garage.

However, I guess my landscape guy misunderstood me (and overlooked the brand new 50ft package of low voltage wire) and they ran romex in conduit. One line to the first location, cut it, and then a second line back into the conduit and popped out the other side of the sidewalk.

From some quick internet searching (I first started out looking to see if I could wire these low voltage lights into the romex)...I learned that romex isn't approved for wet locations, even in conduit? Apparently, UF wire is approved but I don't think that is what was installed because it says Romex on the sheathing.

I started to see if I could just use the romex to pull my own low voltage wire through but the romex isn't budging. Should I have them tear it all out and put down the low voltage wire? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (5)