Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stolives

replacing bathroom exhaust fan

stolives
13 years ago

I am replacing an exhaust fan in our bathroom and I'm confused about the wiring. Of course, I stupidly didn't pay attention to how our builder had wired it before I disassembled it thinking it would be straight forward when I put the new one in, and to my ignorant knowledge base it is not. It had three wires within conduit connected to it, those wires were orange, blue and grey. Then also connected to it was a separate set of wires coated in plastic, they were black, white, and a copper ground. I think this separate set of wires must come from the wall switch but not sure. Can anyone help me with how I connect all of these wires to the exhaust fan? Why couldn't it be a simple black to black, white to white and ground? Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• kurto
    13 years ago

Orange, blue, and gray are not standard residential wire colors in the US. If you follow the National Electric Code (NEC), the gray would be a neutral, and the orange and blue would be "hot". There is no ground in this combination, since grounds must either be green or bare copper. The black/white/copper group are standard house wiring (hot/neutral/ground), and probably connect to the switch as you surmise. I'd need to understand what the orange/blue/gray are connected to in order to be of much help. My best guess is that they were installed by someone who was not familiar with the NEC standards. I would recommend that you have an electrician replace the non-standard set of wires.

• jaysgarden
    13 years ago

So from the NM cable(the wires coated in plastic sheathing), the black was connected to the black from the fan, the white was connected to the white of the fan and the bare copper ground was connected to the green of the fan or the fan body?

What leads of the fan were the orange, blue and gray connected to?

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

You're going to have to find a manual for the fan. Almost certainly these wires control some ancillary function (light separate from fan or heater or such).

• stolives
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't explain well. The only wires coming from the old fan were white and black. The orange, blue and grey are house wires within conduit. There are also another set of house wires (black, white, copper) within the plastic sheathing that were connected to the old fan. The old fan was strictly a fan, no heat or light. From where the sheathing coated wires come up from I think they must be from the wall switch in the bathroom. It's an old bathroom that our builder installed the fan in when we had an addition put on 4 years ago. I think kurto is right that our builder just didn't use NEC standards when he ran the wiring (maybe he was colorblind...ha). I still don't understand why there is the extra set of wires (in the sheathing) that come from the wall switch, unless it was a shortcut of some type because he was contending with the old wiring. thanks!

• jaysgarden
    13 years ago

In your last sentence of your first post your infer that a simple situation would of been black to black, white to white and ground to ground. So seems that what you were anticipating when you began removing the fan.
    But you also state while actually removing the fan, "It had three wires within conduit connected to it, those wires were orange, blue and grey. Then also connected to it was a separate set of wires coated in plastic, they were black, white, and a copper ground."

Sounds like someone was trying to do a quick job during a commercial break or a halftime show maybe??

Anyway you say the orange, blue and grey wires from withing the conduit were definitely wired to the fan terminals? Or could they have been wire-nutted to the black and white wires from the NM cable? Then a pigtail from the wirenuts to the fan?

Are the wires from within the conduit solid or stranded.

Go CHIEFS

• stolives
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jaysgarden, I think my brain was the one taking the commercial break not to have paid closer attention when disconnecting the old fan (I don't know much, but I know better than that). Anyhow, you interpreted my convoluted explanation perfectly. And, yes I believe all three sets of wires (NM cable,conduit, and fan) were pigtailed then wire-nutted. Finally, yes the conduit wire is solid not stranded. thanks.

• bppark
    10 years ago

Message deleted.

This post was edited by bppark on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 11:31

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Better to start a new thread than to piggyback onto one that is three years old with the replies possibly going to that original person.
    Does your attic have sidewalls at a gable end? Does your bath have an outside wall?

• bppark
    10 years ago

Oops--I thought I was starting a new thread. I've been away from this site for a while and my mouse forgot where to click. I'm trying to delete this message to start over, but it's not working!