Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

fluorescent tube

ionized_gw
14 years ago

I have an 18" tube in the kitchen that won't budge from the fixture. I tried putting on a rubber glove for traction, to no effect. Should I break it and pull the end caps out. Any other suggestions?

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Are you rotating the tube so that the pins align with the slotted opening? Get someone to help you with this, because breaking the tube is a bad idea: it can send shards of glass flying at great velocity in all directions.

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I won't turn. I will take precautions if I break it. I plan to wrap it in something before breaking it if I go that route.

• pharkus
    14 years ago

Y'know the weird part? I haven't read this thread until just now, yet I was daydreaming about stuck fluorescent tubes yesterday! (yes, I think about stupid things when I'm bored).

My elected solution was exactly as you propose: to wrap the tube with something, then break it in the center and pull the ends out.

I've seen three totally different types of fluorescent lamp connectors. One has a round path with a slit through the center of it, another is more of a Y-shaped opening with a slit at the base, the third is two distinct openings (one for each pin). I've had frequent problems with the circle ones where one side doesn't "let go of" the pin - you have to push up equally on one side while pulling down on the other. The "Y" type never has that problem, by design.

In any case, once you've got the lamp out (by breakage, if necessary) it'll probably be ridiculously obvious how to get it to cooperate next time.

• joed
    14 years ago

There is also the type that is a pin. One of the tombstones on the end is spring loaded.
    Post a picture.

{{!gwi}}

• ionized_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, the light in question is the circular type tombstones. I broke the tube to remove it. I had trouble with another that is the "two openings" type. I put on my safety glasses and pried on the metal end caps to get that one out without breaking it.

I may have all three types, among about a dozen, under the cabinets in this kitchen. I messed with them for quite a while to get them all going swapping bulbs and starters. Maybe I should have pulled them all out and replaced them with something with electronic ballasts.

I may have figured out why the tubes are sticking. I discovered a box of 18" tubes in the detached garage and the pins look to be a little pitted from corrosion. Maybe some in the kitchen came from that box and suffer this same malady. This is a humid environment. I gave the pins a little rub with steel wool and put a tiny bit of dielectric grease on them.

The single pin picture reminds me that I have some 8Â T12s in the garage. One is intermittent. Any recommendations for fixing it? I have enough lights in there to keep the interior temp at about 50 F despite outdoor temps in the 20s/30s (night/day) for four days. It is fully-insulated, but there are a lot of light leaks.