Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFI wiring

Posted by orgnova (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 15:27

I have a gfi that has never worked. When replacing the bad? one I found out the load side was hot too. Since both sides are hot, could I just wire them together with a pigtail and connect the gfi plug?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFI wiring

Just a follow up, when I turn the breaker off for that gfi, both sides are dead. I'm assuming that since they are on the same circuit, it would be ok to connect the two and connect with a pigtail to the new gfi plug.

o

Hi Mr / Ms Orgnova,

One thing to check before you wire the two hot's together is to make sure that they are on the same phase. Is the breaker a single or double breaker? If it is a double breaker there is a chance that the two "HOT" wire are on a different phase. If that is the case then you cannot wire them together.

I am guessing that the GFCI will only be protecting that one plug position. So I would take one of the hots and put a wire nut on it and tape it up. I.E. just put it out of the way. You will not have a "LOAD" side connected up to the GFCI. I would then connect up the remaining Ground, Hot and Neutral wire to your GFCI.

Not the GFCI will then only protect that one outlet because you have no downstream LOAD outlets.

Warmest regards, Mike.

o

Hi! When you say that both line and load are hot, do you mean they're hot even with the GFI out of the circuit and not connected together?

If not, are you sure the line and load connexions were not reversed on the GFI? Some newer GFI's are designed not to work if it's the case.

o

"Some newer GFI's are designed not to work if it's the case."

ALL new GFCIs now detect if the power is applied to the LOAD terminals in error (instead of the LINE terminals).

What are you using to check the voltages?

o

If that GFI was wired that way, shouldn't you be worried about some other possible safety issues with the wiring in the entire house? I'd have it checked out.

o

Where is this GFI installed, what is its purpose, and who installed it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here