Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom wiring

Posted by lugan (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 15:13

I'm trying to take power from an existing GFCI plug and add a thermostat to take wire from kit down to a small heated floor mat under tile then power over to a switch to operate a ceiling exhaust fan and then power over to a light switch...any offers on a wiring diagram?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom wiring

Depending on what else is on that circuit this may or may not be legal. Does the circuit feeding the GFCI serve other bathrooms?

o

No, it had the 3-way switched vanity lighting on it before i gutted the room in order to add ceiling exhaust fan, an additional light and heated floor

o

Lighting should never be run off of an outlet, much less a GFI outlet. If you need additional lighting, it should be run from the lighting circuit that powers that segment of the home. A heated floor needs it's own dedicated outlet and also should never be run from a GFI outlet.

o

hollysprings, do you have ANY code facts to back up what you are saying??
I have a few to dispute most of it.

o

A bathroom circuit not shared with other room is permitted to serve both the receptacles and the lighting. The one thing I would avoid doing is putting the lighting (except for things that specifically require it) on the the load side of the GFCI (it's kind of annoying to lose the lighting if you trip the GFCI).

With the exception of the few circuits required to be dedicated to receptacles (kitchens, laundry, and multiple bathrooms on the same receptacle circuit), there's no code reason to put lighting on a different circuit than the receptacles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here