Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Air wiring

Posted by xdbmb45 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 13:25

I have am installing a new central air conditioner. The old one is located under my deck and we are moving it for better air flow,new more efficient model. The question is that the new air conditioner will be moved approxiamtely 15 feet away from the electrical disconnect(60amp). Is a whip or electrical line of that length accepable or do I need to get a new/closer disconnect installed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Air wiring

If by "acceptable" you mean that if it meets code, yes it does, as long as it is "within sight" you should have no problems. Now if you don`t want to walk the 15ft, you can add a closer one.

o
Within sight, yes,,, BUT...

BUT... does a 15' foot long "whip", of say Liquid-Tite, meet code?

o

"BUT... does a 15' foot long "whip", of say Liquid-Tite, meet code?"

Not where I live. We're allowed 5' of liquidtite. Anything longer has to be conduit or TECK.

o

If it was attached to the underside of the deck the AHJ may allow it.

They would be very unlikely to allow it on the ground or hanging unsupported in the air.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here