Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remote Controlled Ceiling Fixture Help, Please.

Posted by leafy02 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 13:22

Previous homeowners installed a ceiling fan with lights in the master bedroom. The fan and lights are controlled with a remote, and not by the wall switch near the bedroom door.

This remote-only operation is just evil; If we come home to a dark room, we have to hunt for the remote in the dark if we want to turn on the lights.

We want to replace the fan with a semi-flush ceiling fixture, and we want that fixture to turn on using the switch near the door.

Our house was built in 1969 and in all the other bedrooms, there are no ceiling fixtures at all. The light switches near the bedroom doors control one socket in each of the wall outlets.

Therefore, we don't know if the wall switch in our bedroom was ever connected to the ceiling fixture, or if it is possible to connect.

My question is this: will an electrician be able to easily fix it so the wall switch controls the ceiling fixture, or will it be an involved task?

Another option is to cap off the ceiling fixture and just use table lamps plugged into the sockets the wall switch does control, but we'd like an operable ceiling fixture if getting it installed won't be a huge production.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remote Controlled Ceiling Fixture Help, Please.

It really depends. If you have a stick built ranch house with open basement and attic space, then just about any change you want to make will be fairly easy. If the walls were all open, you could do this in 10 minutes. They could just hard wire the wall outlet and run a switch loop for the ceiling fixture. If you have finished spaces all around the area that limit access, then it becomes more complicated. If you have to start cutting into walls or ceilings just to get access, that would involve drywall work, mudding, sanding, priming, painting etc. Certainly still doable, but it would take longer and be more expensive.

BTW - most remote brands sell wall mounts for these situations.

o

Bill, thank you for replying. The house is a split-level, so the bedroom has the family room underneath it. There is some kind of crawl-space type attic; I've never been up there and I think access is through a closet ceiling--I'm not even sure(!)

Cutting into things is what I want to avoid--just don't want a big project.

I know about the wallmounts for the remote, but I hate the way they look, and since I wanted to get rid of the fan anyway, I was hoping I could do without the remote altogether.

I guess what I'll do is ask the electrician when he's out here installing the other fixtures I'm wanting replaced. I wish I was brave enough to do them myself, but I'm not.

Do you think he'll be able to tell pretty well from looking at the house/attic access whether it'll be easy or will involve cutting?

Thanks!

o

One look through the attic access and your electrician can tell you how big of a job it is. Unless he finds really tight headroom to work with, it shouldn't be a big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here