Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built ins over entire wall

Posted by billl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 13:20

My wife wants me to install built in benches along an exterior wall in our office. The wall is about 15 ft long and has a brick chimney in the center which sticks out about 2 ft into the room. The layout would be 6ft bench, 3 ft chimney, 6 ft bench. Currently, there are 2 receptacles on the wall, one on each side of the chimney. Would relocation those to the front of each bench satisfy the requirement for outlets on that wall or would I have to have them on the actual wall? Do permanent built in areas count as "wall" in this case?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built ins over entire wall

Since you are going to the trouble of moving them, why not just put them higher up on the wall where they are accessible? Code does not require them to be down by the floor.

However, in regard to your original question, I'm presuming that these benches will have an enclosed, front surface like a "wall"? If so, I believe relocation to the front of the bench is permissible. You may wish to call your local electrical permitting authority to make sure they have no objections. Also, whether this is a commercial office or an in-home office may make a difference to them.

o

Thanks. There are windows directly above the bench, so I'd like to avoid having outlets at that level. Besides, my wife really doesn't want them above the bench and I really don't want to be hearing about this 10 years from now.

The benches will be closed on the front but will have draws for storage (if that makes a difference.) Also, this is just a room in our home that we are updating, not a commercial office.

o

"Also, this is just a room in our home that we are updating, not a commercial office."

If it was a commercial space there are no receptacle requirements.

You can put them in the face frame below the drawers, or even use plugmold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here