Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished Basement Lights Wiring Help

Posted by hosta_nut (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 13:14

All,

I want to have 4 zones in my basement with 6 can lights to each zone. I want to have Dimmer control on each zone. In my last house I wired this up no problem with the bank of swithces at the bottom of the stairs and then a zone controler dimmer in each zone, my kids would leave a light zone on, and I would have to walk down to turn it off. Now my second house.... I want to control this from the top of the stairs. So.... Can I wire in a master switch to control all zones if it on they are on, if its off they are off? Do I have ech switch bank at the top of the stairs? that wold be alot of switches to trun on to get lights. Looking for some feedback as I have the lights hung and I am ready to wire. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished Basement Lights Wiring Help

I have a Lightolier Multiset lighting system in my home. You can get 4 dimmers, and a master. You will need 14/3 wire (3rd wire is for the master). With the master you can also set 'scenes' - (besides all on/off, or all dim).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightolier Multiset Pro

o

Are these lighting zones in one big room or in separate rooms? Is the stairway lighting part of one or another of the zones or on its own?

o

Thanks for the fast responce.
I was planning a seperate switch and light for my stairwell. But If there was a cheap solution, I would integrate that into a plan like the above mentioned system (Im not sure on the cost).
The zones will be bascially in one very large open concept basement. PLease see the attached sketch.

o

Any of the home automation switches will likely suffice. I'm partial to the Z-WAVE stuff. As far as code goes, the only thing you really are required to do is have a switch for the stair lights at both ends of the stairs (or a motion activated device).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here