Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light switch timer options?

Posted by rph123 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 13:06

Hey

I have some gas lanterns that are hooked to light switch. I was wondering if there is anyway I could add some type of timer to it, so I could set them up to just run a few hours each day?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light switch timer options?

I forgot to add that I would also like to be able to control the switch manually not just by timer.

o

There are several on the market. Hop over to Amazon and search for "light switch timer" to get an idea.

Note that some of them require a neutral so check to see if your current switch has a neutral or is a switchleg without a neutral. It will influence your choice.

o

Note, there are two kinds of timers (often identical in outward appearance). Some are approved for incandescent (resistive) loads only. These typically use a semiconductor (TRIAC) switch. Others are good for assorted loads (fluorescent, etc...) as they use a motorized mechanical switch inside. This is what you want.

Many of the "time of day" type of timer (as opposed to the count down kind) use a battery to run the timer parts so they don't rely on a neutral at the switch (which older installations may not have).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here