Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirlnuts

switching wireing from fuse box to circut breaker box

squirlnuts
14 years ago

MY HOME HAS 200 AMP SERVICE @ A 100AMP FUSE BOX.BEFORE I BOUGHT MY HOME THE NEW 220AMP BOX WAS INSTALLED BUT THE FUSE BOX IS STILL IN SERVICE THEIR IS A 110AMP BREAKER INSTALLED IN THE 200AMP SERVICE BOX WITH A ELECTECAL WIRE RUNNING TO THE FUSE BOX.CAN I CHANGE THE WIRING FROM THE FUSE BOX TO THE 200AMP BREAKER BOX. I WANT TO ELEMENATE THE FUSE BOX FROM MY HOME AND ONLY USE THE 200AMP SERVICE.IF I CAN CHANGE THE WIRING OVER TO MY 200AMP SERVICE CAN I USE THE OLD FUSE BOX FOR A JUNCTION BOX

Comments (8)

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

Please do not type in all caps.

You are confusing terms. You heave exactly 1 (presumably 200) service. The fusebox is now a subpael to the main 200A panel. Yes, you can move things over to the main panel (if there's enough positions left, don't forget you can remove that double pole 110A breaker). You can also replace the fusebox with a circuit breaker panel. Yes, you can use the fuse panel to make junctions to extend over to the main panel.

• spencer_electrician
    14 years ago

YOU CAN RUN FEEDS OF 14/2 (1 15 AMP CIRCUIT), 14/3 (2 15 AMP CIRCUITS), 12/2 (ONE 20 AMP CIRCUIT), AND 12/3 (2 20 AMP CIRCUITS). FROM THE NEW SERVICE PANEL TO THE FUSE PANEL. BE CAREFUL TO MATCH TO THE OLD WIRE SIZE 14 GAUGE, 12 GAUGE ETC. USING 12/3 AND 14/3 JUST SAVES BOX FILL AND CLEANER, LESS LABOR THAN RUNNING 2 SEPARATE 14 OR 12/2 CABLES. BUT IF YOU USE 14/3 OR 12/3 YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND HOW A SHARED NEUTRAL CIRCUIT WORKS, BLACK AND RED WIRES TO DIFFERENT BUS BAR OF THE PANEL. ONE OLD CIRCUIT TO THE BLACK, AND ONE OLD CIRCUIT TO THE RED, WITH BOTH OF THE OLD WHITES CONNECTED TO THE WHITE OF THE 12/3 OR 14/3. OR JUST RUN 14/2 OR 12/2 FOR EACH CIRCUIT CONNECTING BLACK TO BLACK, WHITE TO WHITE. THE FUSE BOX CAN BE A JUNCTION BOX BUT YOU WILL NEED TO TURN THE COVER INTO AN ACCESSIBLE BUT NOT SWINGING OPEN (USUALLY SCREW THE HINGED COVER SHUT.

THIS IS DIFFICULT TYPING IN CAPS, WHY ARE WE ALL SHOUTING?

• spencer_electrician
    14 years ago

Took me so long typing in caps that Ron beat me to submitting.

• terribletom
    14 years ago

LOL. TRY THE CAPS LOCK.

STFU, SPENCER! I THINK YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THAT INSTEAD OF RUNNING FEEDS OF 14/2 AND 14/3 AND 12/2 AND 12/3 FROM THE NEW SERVICE PANEL TO THE SWINGING FUSE PANEL YOU CAN USE A WIRE STRETCHER TO ELONGATE ALL THE WIRES AND RUN THE EXISTING WIRES STRAIGHT TO THE BUSSES IN THE NEW BREAKER BOX. ALSO, IT SHOULD BE MENTIONED THAT IN ADDITION TO BLACK AND RED WIRES, BLUE WIRES ARE LEGAL FOR HOTS, ESPECIALLY IF THIS HOUSE HAS A THREE-PHASE WYE SERVICE AND ALSO IT IS LEGAL TO USE GRAY WIRES FOR NEUTRALS IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE EXTRA GRAY WIRE AROUND OR IF THE OLD WIRES HAVE GONE GRAY FROM AGE. AND WHAT ABOUT THE BARE GROUND WIRES? THEY AREN'T BLACK OR RED OR WHITE THEIR JUST PLAIN OLD METAL.

• joed
    14 years ago

Spring loaded end.

{{!gwi}}

solid end

• joed
    14 years ago

Something got lost in that last post somehow.

It should have included this line.

Some tubes are single pins. They come out by pushing the tube towards one end.

• spencer_electrician
    14 years ago

Throw in some tube ends? Now this is just getting a little confusing. And true Tom, to avoid running bare grounding wires, might as well run threaded rigid conduit, with custom bends. Pull brown, orange, yellow, and gray to keep the colors simple. We're Making this too easy (:

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

joed-
    Good post...but did you get the wrong thread? Were you meaning to help the person who was having trouble removing a fluorescent tube?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting