Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Undercabinet wiring, how should this be done?

TxMarti
11 years ago

I posted on the Smaller home forum and will link that thread below. It was suggested I ask here.

I wanted plug mold but both dh & the electrician didn't like that idea. So they talked me into putting plugs in the middle of the backsplash area and one just under the cabinet for the lighting. One wall had cabinets up and one wall had no cabinets when the electrician was here. After the cabinets were up and the plug in puck type lights installed, it looked like this.

{{!gwi}}

This is my view from the table a few feet away. I hated it and took it down. I didn't like the mess of wire and I didn't like the plug under the cabinet.

On the other side, the side that had upper cabinets already, the electrician forgot to install the plug under the cabinet. He screwed it to the wall probably as a reminder, but it didn't get done.

So I have to have an electrician out here anyway, and I'd like both sides done, and not this way. What is a better way?

I've already bought two sets of the puck type lights that plug in, but I'm not opposed to buying direct wire lighting, or anything else that will won't show a nest of wires when sitting in the next room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on Smaller House forum

Comments (12)

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

I took a look at the other thread. I think the under cabinet lighting is a real hack job. I don't think your electrician has very good judgement.

I would look at WAC low voltage lighting - we have that under our cabinets. With 'real' lighting fixtures the wires can be cut to length. Holes can be drilled to run the wire between the cabinets.

http://www.waclighting.com/USA/products/?categoryid=52

The power supply could be in one of the cabinets (either upper or lower).

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are those direct wired?

The electrician didn't install the lighting, just the plugs. My dh put up the lighting and said the wires could be moved but he wanted to see if the lights were in the right places. He said the wires couldn't be shortened though, just tucked under the edge of cabinet so they weren't as visible.

Not good enough for me. I don't want to see a wad of wires anywhere when I'm sitting at the table.

• User
    11 years ago

I installed some switched outlets above my cabinets and used Hera lights. I placed the transformers above the cabinets. They can be dimmed on their primaries so I could use a normal dimmer switch on them. I then ran the wires down between the cabinets. The lights themselves are low profile so you don't see much.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The plug cannot be on the backsplash under the cabinet.

Period.

Only GFCI protected small appliance branch circuit receptacles are allowed there.

And it looks like a hack.

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

jreagan, I too have placed, and usually even prefer, receptacles above the cabinets for under-counter lighting and it creates a much cleaner installation, but please be aware that under the NEC, you can not incorporate a dimmer into receptacle circuits - NEC 404.14(e).

There are some specialty receptacles made that allow this by using special plugs or adapters.

But otherwise, it's still a great idea!

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

Those pre-wired plug-in puck like are complete CRAP!
    They package and market them as SO easy to install, yet the wires are NEVER the right length so you h ave to deal with bunches of slack and you cannot cut and extend the factory wiring so you're stuck there as well.

I'd move those illegal receptacles into a cabinet and run hard wired lights.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

If the pucks are 120 V you will have short bulb life.

Just the vibration from placing items on the bottom of the cabinet above them shortens the bulb life.

Low voltage pucks have much more rugged filaments.

I prefer 12 V pucks with 60 W power supplies that fit into a single device box.
    You bring the 120 V in, hook up the supply, then bring the 12 V out though the box cover and then through the cabinet bottom from inside to the pucks.

Since it is low voltage and NOT concealed wiring you get a lot of relief from code rules.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 13:51

• User
    11 years ago

Didn't know about the restriction on dimmers on receptacle circuits (and I even pointed that out to an electrical inspector who's a friend of mine). Perhaps he gave me a pass since the only two receptacles are high above the cabinets powering only the transformers. I have read some stories about the problem in general so I understand the concerns.

Also, I find it odd that Hera promotes the ability to dim the primary side of their transformers which have a plug. By definition, such a thing is against the code you cited.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

OT-Just to confirm, cove lighting is allowed plugged into an outlet above the cabinets but you cannot dim? Is this correct ?

• User
    11 years ago

Many lights have dimmers built in to their controls. My situation was using a dimmer on the receptacle. That is against code. There is no restriction on using a light system that has its own dimmer built-in.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

The electrical code prohibits controlling an ordinary receptacle with a dimmer. If you find yourself in a situation where you need/want to control a receptacle with a dimmer, Leviton makes a special receptacle that has a "hump" between the two slots to prevent plugging any old device into that receptacle. They also make a special plug that has recess to accept the hump. They are several times more expensive than ordinary receptacles and plugs.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

jreagan & mike thank you for the explanation