Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

Three Way Switch setup

tom418
12 years ago

I'm installing a switched outlet, controlled by two three way switches.

My setup is to be:

Coming into switch box number one: Power feed.

Then 14-3 Romex between Switch box #1 and Switch Box #2,

which contains switch #2 only (no other cables enter/leave).

A 14-2 will leave box #1 to run to switched outlet.

So, I want to connect Black from feed in Box #1 to black conductor of 14-3 running between the two boxes. Red and white will be travellers. In box #1, Red and white from 14-3 get connected to the two (non common, if you will) terminals of switch #1, and the common terminal of switch #1 gets connected to the 14-2 running to the switched outlet.

In all my other 3 way switch wiring, the route has been power to switch #1, then Red/black travellers "hot", with neutral carried by white, and then in switch box #2, a 14-2 running to load with the black attached to common of switch number 2. What is different here is that I'm not running a neutral between the two switches. Is this allowed? I'm running it this way, as there is less cable used.

Comments (6)

• hendricus
    12 years ago

Ain't gonna work.

Power feed into switch #1 connect to common on 3-way switch.

3 wire cable to second switch. At switch one connect red and black to travelers and then connect same to travelers at switch #2. Connect white to common of switch #2 and remark it with black tape.

in Switch box #1 connect white from Switch #2 to black fixture wire, again remark the white wire with black tape.

In switch box #1 connect white from fixture to white from power source.

• tom418
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So hendricus, I can conclude that red and white can't be used as travellers, only black and red, and hot from feed has to connect to common on switch one, instead of a conductor that would connect it to common terminal on switch # 2 instead. Correct?

• linesman
    12 years ago

Hello tom418

Here is a drawing I made of what I think you are trying to do.
    You can just re mark the White traveler wire ends with a Black marker.
    Make sure you are using 2 regular 3 way switches. -- No dimmer switches !!

{{!gwi}}

Hope this helps

Let us know how you made out with your wiring project

Have A Nice Day

Linesman

• linesman
    12 years ago

Hello tom418

Opps

This is the way I now understand your description.. But either drawing will work. Make sure you re mark the White traverler wire ends with a Black marker.

Hope this helps

Let us know how you made out with your wiring project

Have A Nice Day

Linesman

• tom418
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linesman, that is EXACTLY (your Pic 2) what I'm doing. Thanks!

What caught me off guard, is that all of the (four) previous times that I've installed 3 ways switches, they were in order of FEED -> Switch 1 > Switch 2 -> Load. And when I wired these setups, the neutral was carried in the 14-3 romex, with the travellers being Red & Black.

So, once again: Thanks.

• hendricus
    12 years ago

I got it after reading it again. You are using box 2 for the first switch and box 1 for the second switch.
    Either way works.