Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingkite

Where to find power connectors for the LED under cabinet lights?

flyingkite
10 years ago

I bought a set of the GE/Jasco LED under cabinet lights and have to cut power cord because it's too long.

Unfortunately, it's too late to wire them directly to the power outlet unless we break existing back splash tile.

Now the problem, where to find connectors? I don't think I can reuse the old ones.

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago

You might find them at Jameco, Digikey, or Mouser.

• randy427
    10 years ago

Why not cut the excess length off of the wall plug.end and then put on a replacement plug?

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I don't think you can legally cut off the power plug and hardwire this into an outlet.

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

weedmeister,

I won't wire power cord to the outlet, I will plug it into it
    I can cut the cord and use replacement plug, but they all look ugly comparing to the manufactured ones.

jreagan,

Thanks for the hint, I'll check all three sites.

If it won't work I have a plan B, cut excessive cord and solder wires. I already ordered Heat Gun and Heat Shrink Tubing stuff.

Just wanted something fancy...

This post was edited by flyingkite on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 17:26

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

" it's too late to wire them directly to the power outlet unless we break existing back splash tile."

I misunderstood 'wire them directly to the ... outlet' to be hard wire them. My bad.

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

Those kits a a JOKE!! They actually expect you to mount the lights, run the cords (which will all be the perfect length) and plug them in. This is NEVER the case.

You should not cut any of the cords, even the plug. You need to hide the slack somewhere.

• flyingkite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually it's very easy to hide them and nobody (except kids) will see them. Just striving for perfection....

• wmokey
    9 years ago

I'm looking for a similar solution flyingkite, although I need to make a longer link cable. Did the pin extractor and crimp tool work for you? What are the part numbers?

• Ted Baker
    9 years ago

flyingkite: Did the molex connector work for you? It does not look quite right in the image. I see a D-shape where the LED cable has a square.

• wmokey
    9 years ago

I don't think the connectors "flyingkite" was going to use would work. I believe they are a 6.3mm pitch. The parts used for the interconnecting cables are difficult to find in small quantities. Here is some generic information.

The connectors have a 4.5mm pitch.

Extraction Tool - Waldom W-HT-2285P .062"
    Use this to remove the pins/terminals from the connector housing. Just google the model number to find suppliers of your choice.The tool worked very well and did not damage the pins should you wish to re-insert them after removal.

The pins/terminals are more difficult to find in small quantities, but there is a seller on Ebay named kikiwave who sold the 2 position and 3 position connectors, complete with male and female connector housings including the male and female terminals. There are 10 units in each set for under $6/set.

I made a long link cable by cutting the longer AC plug cable to size, crimping on new terminals and inserting them into the appropriate connector. I shortened some other link cables in the same manner. Having purchased 4 LED lights, I had 4 AC plug cables and 4 link cables which provided enough stock parts so I never used any of the purchased housings, just the female pins. Crimping the pins onto the wire was a bit challenging. I did not have the exact tool required but I did achieve a good mechanical and electrical connection.

The installation is much cleaner and neater with custom link and power cables.

• dimplesdelight
    8 years ago

I have the same lights. I cut, soldered, and used electrical shrink-wrap to extend and reduce the length, and to splice two wires together for a T shaped configuration. It worked great. My problem is that we replaced the cabinets and some of the cables were lost so I don't have the connectors. I'm going to try ordering cables from GE.

• dimplesdelight
    8 years ago

Also, I don't know if it helps but GE makes a junction box for those lights.

• Ted Baker
    8 years ago

I purchased crimp-on connectors identical to the originals on e-Bay, and they work fine. You need to buy the 2-prong and 3-prong separately, $5.50 each set, including shipping. You get enough to do a bunch of cables. The heading for the 2-prong ones is "Details about (10).2Ways Wire-To-Wire connector Set 4.5mm pitch 10Amp"

• Ted Baker
    8 years ago

Sorry about the bad paste. Ignore the "Details about". The rest is the heading.

• Minh Houck
    8 years ago

The connectors are manufactured by JST Manufacturing.

http://www.jst-mfg.com/

Connector bodies:

ELP-02V Two Pin Plug

ELP-03V Three Pin Plug

Contacts: SLF-41T-P1.3E

EL Series - Wire to Wire Connectors

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eEL.pdf

• vollo
    6 years ago

As of this date (5/6/17) Jasco has the power cord for these GE under-cabinet LED fixtures.
    https://byjasco.com/products/under-cabinet-light-fixture-power-cord

They also have linking cables in 6 lenghs: 12", 18", 24", 48", 60" and 120".
    https://byjasco.com/products/category/lighting/under-cabinet-fixtures

Hard to find. I couldn't find them anywhere else.