Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Can a small sconce be installed on the side of a kitchen cab?

Hi, all,

I am doing a kitchen 'facelift'. I'm painting my 24 year old maple cabinets, and removing the current crown and putting up fascia, and new crown that will have the cab tops meet the ceiling.

There are three ceiling cans installed over the sink counter - one centered, and one near each end cabinet. One is just at the edge of the right side in the photo below. I have Kraftmaid maple cabs, and each end cab has a full overlay of maple.

{{gwi:2135944}}

Is it possible to install one of these Hudson Valley sconces on the outside of each cab next to the windows on the sink wall, as shown in the photo below? It would add a great Country French look, and who can't use more lighting?

I'm just an ignorant, innocent female homeowner, but I'm assuming if a shallow box could be used, and mounted in the double cabinet wall (the cab box plus the overlay of maple which gives a 1.5" thick mounting base) with some kind of channel covering the wire to the box on the inside of the cab, that it MAY be possible? They could be run off the switch that turns on the cans, or another; that doesn't matter to me. Am I crazy? If possible is this a huge job? Many thanks for your expertise.

{{gwi:2135945}}

Comments (7)