Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwyn_gw

retractable outlet covers

cwyn
12 years ago

We renovated a year ago, and now we have a very mobile 1 year old and we are looking for a safer way to keep her from the outlets than those little plastic plugs - I've seen the retractable outlet covers (where you actually screw them in place of the original outlet cover, and a plastic piece that is kind of spring loaded retracts over the outlet holes when you pull something out), and I'd like to install these retractable covers in our apartment. However, they seem to be designed with two cutouts, one for each outlet - our outlets aren't like that, though - they have one large rectangular piece in the middle which contains the two outlets, and the outlet cover just goes around it (so that the outlet cover is just like the cover for a modern wide light switch) and there are two screws, one on either end.

Does anyone know how we can get retractable outlet covers for this type of outlet? (Is there a particular name for this type of outlet, so I can at least figure out what I'm searching for?)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Comments (9)

• randy427
    12 years ago

The rectangular ones I'm familiar with are the Decora style, made by Leviton. I don't know of a child-proof cover for them, but the ones I've gotten recently from Lowes and HD have the Tamper Resistant feature built into the receptacle itself. A shutter prevents the insertion of an object into only one of the slots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decora Plus Duplex Receptacle

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

cwyn,
    Is this what you are describing?
    {{!gwi}}

If so, their purpose is to keep the weather out not little kids. You'd probably make the outlet more interesting (and therefore less safe) to little minds if you put them in your apartment.

• greg_2010
    12 years ago

Never mind. You're probably talking about these things in the link. (Can you tell I don't have kids?)

I found it by just searching for "decora child proof outlet covers". I have no idea if this is a reputable source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decora outlet covers

• cwyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response, randy427. Our outlets do look like the link you showed, but I'm not sure if they are tamper resistant. Since they were just replaced, they might be required by law to be tamper resistant, but I'm not sure what the rules are for New York City renovations. Is there a way for me to tell if the ones we have are tamper resistant?

greg_2010, thanks for the link - this is indeed exactly what I was looking for. So I guess the name of the shape of the outlet cover is Decora - this makes it much easier to google what I'm looking for. :)

Thanks so much to both of you for your replies!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

There are both sliding and rotating tamper resistant outlets.

Or you can just keep an eye on the kids like most folks did for a very long time.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

These days you're pretty much required to put in TR receptacles in most new work. I'd definitely look into those. They're more reliable than just about any "add on" cover you can put in place.

• cwyn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses brickeyee and ronnatalie. Does anyone know how I tell if the ones that we have are already tamper resistant?

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

I think that if they had that type of outlet when I was young, it would have made them much more interesting to me, a better toy so to speak.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

They will be marked as such if they are TR. Many of them will have TR molded right into the plastic of the receptacle you can see just by looking at them (frequently between the holes. Others you may have to remove the cover plate and see if it's stamped on the mounting tabs. Most likely you don't have them if your house is older, they've only recently become mandatory and that means that builders DIDN'T bother using them before.