Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI - Lutron 'eco-dim'

Posted by shadow700 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 10:44

A few years ago, we standardized on Lutron "Diva" dimmers for locations where we replaced or added switches.

It's been a while since we had to do so, but now that we are adding some new recessed lights, I took a look at what Lutron is offering.

Their new line has a "feature" called "eco-dim", which seems to add about $5 to the cost of the switches. They claim a minimum energy savings of 15%.

I dug a little deeper to figure out what miracle invention could claim such high savings and was somewhat disturbed to find the answer.

The power range for a standard "Diva" dimmer is about 10% to 100%.

The power range for an "eco-dim" dimmmer is about 10% to 85%.

Yes, the amazing invention that adds about 20-25% to the cost of the dimmer is they limit the maximum output to 85%. This, in turn, lowers the energy usage by 15% at a cost of never having your lights at full brightness. The same effect could be had by using their non-"eco-dim" dimmer and not pushing the slider all the way to the top.

Just thought I would pass this information on to hopefully save someone from paying more for one of these dimmers and wondering why their lights aren't as brights as they used to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI - Lutron 'eco-dim'

That's a really dumb idea, IMO. Incandescent lights are less efficient when operated on reduced voltage. So when you install one of these dimmers and find that your lights aren't bright enough, what do you do? You put in bigger bulbs. You end up using MORE electricity, not less.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here