Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelican_gw

Ground on top or bottom?

pelican
14 years ago

According to the Canadian Electrical Code, does the ground go on top or the bottom of a wall receptacle? I look around and see them all on the bottom but a guy at work says that code actually calls for them on top now. I searched for the answer but nothing came up. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• joed
    14 years ago

OH NO NOT THIS AGAIN.

There is no code issue about this in CEC or NEC. You can put the ground up, down, sideways, at any angle you like.

The will be many arguments about which you SHOULD put it. BUT THE CODE DOES NOT CARE.

• pelican
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your quick response.

• inox
    14 years ago

In his book about residential wiring, Rex Cauldwell argues that the ground should go at the top if the receptacle is installed vertically.

The idea is that if a plug becomes loose and something lands on the exposed ground pin, it will bounce off. If it lands on the exposed hot and neutral blades, a short circuit results.

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

Although I personally hate outlets installed upside down (ground up) I also know that this is the same question as "is the toilet paper supposed to unroll over or under".

• tom_o
    14 years ago

Yikes! i guess this is never going to go away. I could only find one proposal for the 2011 NEC about ground pin up, here it is

18-36 Log #3897 NEC-P18 Final Action: Reject
    (406.4(B))
    mounted such that the ground pin opening is above the hot and neutral
    openings.
    Substantiation: If multiple failing conditions are encountered (i.e., plug not
    fully inserted, metal cover loosens, etc.) it is possible that the metal cover
    could contact the hot conductor creating a short circuit and a fire hazard.
    Panel Meeting Action: Reject
    Panel Statement: This proposal is not substantiated with incident data
    indicating burn or electrocution exposure or the circumstances surrounding
    such incidents.
    Additionally, the proposal only addresses receptacles installed in a vertical
    plane. How does one insure in a receptacle mounted on a horizontal surface
    that the ground pin opening is above the hot and neutral openings?
    Number Eligible to Vote: 11
    Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

While it sounds good in theory, in reality the odds of dropping something that conducts electricity along the wall in such a way that it hits both the hot and neutral prongs is slim to none. I'd think you'd have to work at it just to get the object to hit the two prongs much less come up with a situation where it would occur in the real world.

Of course the corollary is if the neutral should be up or down if the receptacle is sideways.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

I like mine on the left :)
    At least that puts the grounded conductor on top.

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

This thread should have been closed after the first reply!

• inox
    14 years ago

mike,

I actually saw a tool fall off a cart, land on a ground pin, bounce off, and land on the floor. The (not fully inserted) plug was for an extension cord. I do not expect to see this again.

Last February, I noticed that all of the twenty or so outlets in pateient room in an intensive-care unit had the ground pin at the top.

• btharmy
    14 years ago

The only receptacle I have installed that is required to be installed ground up was a spec grade receptacle that was stamped "top" on the metal yoke. In that case it was required according to 110.3.b of the '08 NEC. I have seen this more than a few times. Otherwise it's up to you.

• hexus
    14 years ago

I've done some jobs (schools and doctors offices) that will actually spec it out to install the receptacles with the ground up.

Personally I can't stand them that way.

• hendricus
    14 years ago

Up.

The ground pin has the most holding area. Medical areas use some serious size cords and the weight of the cord will tend to bend the ground plug and pull the neutral and hot part way out when installed with the ground down.

I have numerous heavy duty extension cords where the ground plug shows bends away from the hot and neutral but never toward them.

• lbpod
    14 years ago

I've noticed many new household appliances with a molded
    right angle plug on the end of the cord that was meant
    for a receptical with the ground on top.

• Ron Natalie
    14 years ago

Medical grade receptacles have some serious grip to them as well, so it's not a problem.

For every molded plug or wall wart that has the wire coming out the side away from the ground pin (or with the fat blade on the right i.e. designed for ground up), I can show you two that go the other way.